Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the mountains of swVA and mostly fish freshwater with ultralight spinning equipment and light flyrods. For the past 20 or so years I've been lucky enough to fish OBX a few times each year. I normally throw lures from the pier and surf fish with spinning rods. I just bought a casting rod and I'm trying to pick a reel. The rod is an OB Custom OBX Series, 11' 2-5 oz lures. I hope to throw lures/bait in the surf and bait fish from the pier. Can I get a reel that will throw 2 oz. lures as well as 5 oz. bait rigs? Should I just set the new rod/reel up for heavier baits and continue using my spinning rod for throwing lures in the surf? Using casting equipment isn't new to me but I have limited experience with it. I know there will be a huge learning curve but I'm looking forward to adding this to my saltwater experience. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I would set the new rod up for a heaver .2-5 oz rating to much for casting Lures Imo especially for long periods of time .I would use your other gear for casting lures n jigs.

Yes any reel that can throw a 2oz is capable of throwing a 5oz .what size Weight you throw shouldn't matter on the reel but only the rod .

When Deciding On if your casting lures On a setup vs a heavier .you really Need to keep your line lb or dia. Smaller so the line doesn't kill your cast of throwing the lighter lures and so the wind,waves don't drag it down the beach... Most lures are 2oz or under.

I'm more of an inshore and bay fishing guy. Don't see the sand a lot so I'm sure other will chime in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was sort of in the same position not long ago. I am very new to casting reels and bought my first one this past October and mated it up to a smaller rod. I bought an Abu Garcia 5600 c4 and fell in love. Had a few blow ups learning to use it but nothing too bad. Anyway, I like the conventional reel so much that I got serious about looking into a heaver rod and reel. After much research and fondling of different reels, I ended up with a CPS rod and an Akios 656scm. I am extremely happy with the reel and the rod. The one thing about the reel that scared me was the stories about how fast it is and the huge distances they were being thrown. I used it for the first time this past weekend and it was awesome. My casting sucks but the reel was very forgiving with the mags on max. There were a few casts where the weight and bait hit the water and I completely forgot to thumb the spool. It did birds nest but not bad at all. I was able to just strip line off as I walked back to my spikes. I ordered mine from Tommy Farmer and am very happy that I did. He gave me a ton of advice. That's my 2 cents worth of knowledge and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I was sort of in the same position not long ago. I am very new to casting reels and bought my first one this past October and mated it up to a smaller rod. I bought an Abu Garcia 5600 c4 and fell in love. Had a few blow ups learning to use it but nothing too bad. Anyway, I like the conventional reel so much that I got serious about looking into a heaver rod and reel. After much research and fondling of different reels, I ended up with a CPS rod and an Akios 656scm. I am extremely happy with the reel and the rod. The one thing about the reel that scared me was the stories about how fast it is and the huge distances they were being thrown. I used it for the first time this past weekend and it was awesome. My casting sucks but the reel was very forgiving with the mags on max. There were a few casts where the weight and bait hit the water and I completely forgot to thumb the spool. It did birds nest but not bad at all. I was able to just strip line off as I walked back to my spikes. I ordered mine from Tommy Farmer and am very happy that I did. He gave me a ton of advice. That's my 2 cents worth of knowledge and I hope it helps.
I have the 656 SCM - Smokes right out of the box! I put 15 lb Big Game line on it...

When starting out with a conventional, buy lots of CHEAP mono!

Sandcrab

·
Registered
618 Posts
Best way to get rid of a birds nest is to tighten the drag, turn the handle, and pull the line... Works like a champ!

Sandcrab
Ya there is a U tube video of this process.

Tighten your drag and mash your thumb down hard on the nest in the spool. Crank the line in and your thumb sort of pulls the loops straight.

Release the spool and try to pull the line all the way out if it does not clear.

Repeat until it clears.

Works almost every time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice so far. I have tried fishing a Abu-Garcia 6500 occasionally over the past couple of seasons anticipating a larger setup. Every blow-up I had was cleared with a lot of cursing and a sharp knife. I'm sure I'll get the chance to try the method suggested. Anticipating the learning I did pick up several spools of 20# mono recently off of the clearance rack at the local mart. I'm not familiar with Akios but will Google them. How difficult is the learning curve on a reel with free spool? Am I better off with a reel that accepts fixed magnets or one that is adjustable? Luckily there is a public driving range near my house that is pretty much deserted this time of year. I get an occasional odd stare from people walking by but it makes for a great place to practice. The wife has suggested I wait til after Christmas to purchase a reel. Maybe she has done a search of her own and has a surprise in store for me. I know she has been lusting over my current heavy spinning set-up. Thanks again guys and keep the advice coming.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To get a feel for the new rod I stuck my Abu 6500 on it Sunday and made a trip to the driving range. I've never fished an 11' rod before and I was impressed with how well it balanced and handled a 5 oz. weight. One guy stopped and stared for a few minutes before telling me he had never thought of practicing but agreed it was a good idea. After 30-45 minutes of casting I have to say I will keep this rod for only throwing bait. I didn't blow the reel up and get a chance to try the suggested method of clearing a birdsnest but there's always next time. Thanks again for all the input. I'm very happy that my search for a reel led me to this forum. I'm looking forward to learning a lot and maybe contribute my limited knowledge.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks for the video,it is a new one on me,I will have to try it... As to the original poster,just me,but I use spinning on lures.. Because you can react quicker to a fish if sightcasting.. I love conventional,but think spinning has it beat in casting lures,especially on a pier..
Holding the spool and pulling as in the video does not work with a full on heaver type backlash, only for minor type over-runs. If you have a shock knot blowup you might as well get out the knife:rolleyes: same as all ways :rolleyes:
I have prefer an ABU 5500 and a light casting rod (or 6500 if Kings or big Spanish were hitting the jerk-jiggers which does not happen these days I guess) for casting lures off a pier or on the beach, it balances better for me leaning on the rail. On the pier I tend when working a lure I tend to keep right hand on the reel knob and bounce the rod up and down with the left hand and my right hand actually stays in the same place and the reel cranks itself. The left hand holding the rod does the cranking while bouncing up and down.

This was before braid came along and a lot had to do with the fact that a bait caster in the right hands would out cast the older spinning reels with the same size line with lures such as a jerk jigger or a double
buck tail rig at least for me anyway.

As far as quick reactions for sight casting, I am not very quick, but I am pretty accurate with bait caster, it is real easy to throw harder than necessary and then thumb the spool and drop the bait right on top of the target. Never been sight casting with Pro's like DD off a boat, most of it was from an elevated position on a pier and it was more important to get it right in front of the target, rather than milliseconds to fire off a bait.

Not sure of how many casts I have made with a 4500/5500/6500 but it must be in the several hundred thousand range, so as long as the bait is heavy enough and you take the time to load the rod right you seldom blow up................a heaver is a different story:) especially after 18 or so Busch Beers when my drop is a foot below the reel.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Trust me Mike... Since the days of "popping rods" and the 6500 there have been huge strides made with spinners.. One can be as "dead eye" with a spinner as a baitcaster in the days of super fine braid and smmmmmmoooottthhh spinners of today.. And yes,sometimes that "millisecond" does count,especially when that cobe is coming by the pier or boat and you need to get that bait in his face as soon as possible.. Especially on piers nowadays.. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input. My wife just gave me a Christmas gift and it's a Diawa SL30SH. I can't wait to cast it, feel like a kid at Christmas:D
Hope everyone has a safe and very Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
2 reds to start.. Then one red and a white.. one red.. two whites.. one white.. and if you are really badass ya go with no brakes,in other words "go or blow"... haha I use one red,everyone varies..

As you see reds are slower..Make sure tension adjustment knob is not too tight or too loose by setting it,putting into freespool grabbing spool and see how much side to side knock you have in spool..

Do not overfill your spool with line,always leave it where you could lay a nickel down on top of line and be level with spool... Some folks vary on that as well..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2 reds to start.. Then one red and a white.. one red.. two whites.. one white.. and if you are really badass ya go with no brakes,in other words "go or blow"... haha I use one red,everyone varies..

As you see reds are slower..Make sure tension adjustment knob is not too tight or too loose by setting it,putting into freespool grabbing spool and see how much side to side knock you have in spool..

Do not overfill your spool with line,always leave it where you could lay a nickel down on top of line and be level with spool... Some folks vary on that as well..
Got two reds on and hope to sneak in a few practice casts tomorrow. How much side to side knock should I have? Maybe I'll have this all figured out in time for the fall drum season. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.