Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets try a real casting question for a change.
I have noticed that on the backswing of the penulum cast that the weight is swung out in many different directions by different casters. I personally swing my weight out to 6 oclock but notice others swinging it to as far as 9 oclock. Is there a perfect place to swing or is it all a matter of choice?
Bob S

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bob,

The clock alignments that I've seen usually orient 6 o'clock down the court. Which would put 12 o'clock in front of the caster when caster's back is to the court.

I'm not the one to be answering this question, though I can mention that I've seen it mostly suggested to swing weight out about 2 o'clock, depending, of course, on the starting foot position. Then it's up to the caster to keep the weight outside of the tip so it comes around that way, again depending on the individual caster's style. To do that, I've seen it "said" to bring the weight back from the 2 o'clock swing to 90 degrees from the rod, or also to bring it back so you can see the weight behind you as the weight rises and you turn your head down court. It's more involved than that simple explanation, but I hope that's clear, and also hope somebody who knows better chimes in!

Will.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the confusion. I always think of 12 oclock as the direction to which I am casting.
bob

·
Registered
577 Posts
Bob,

The important part is not were you swing the sinker but the position of the rod after the inswing, some casters rods will be at least 240° from their intended target and others will be around 300°. The further around the rod is (not the sinker) the greater the force is on the caster to hold the reel.

Just imagine how much pressure is being applied by the sinker that is on 24' of mono (unstretched), the faster you move the more pressure is applied.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I spend too much time thinking about what is right or wrong during this nasty winter. I can't wait to cast more often.
Bob S

·
Registered
571 Posts
The path of the sinker after the in-swing is far more important. Since you cast with a firm rod, you'll gain more distance by having the sinker accelerate around the tip rather than having it stay inside the tip. Once the sinker is in position, give it your normal hit. As always, it’s matter of personal taste and individual body mechanics. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
OK, I'm confused...

Could someone post a really good description or an illustration of the pendulum cast? I think that the cast I think is the pendulum is not really it.

Maybe a downloadable video?

THANX,

Evan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There might be some casting on the Capitol Longcaster board. Breakaway USA has a verygood tape that will get you started and explain the different cast. It's a good tape and for 15-20 bucks well worth having.
Bob S

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kingfisherman
Let me know if the video helps you. What area do you live in. Maybe we can get someone to help you out.?
Goodluck
Bob S

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks all,
The video did help, turns out I was doing it wrong. No wonder my distance (210-220 ft) was so bad :rolleyes:.

Also, here's an animation (very crappy drawing, but it gets the point across) that is a little bit easier to understand than the Mackellow for the beginner.

Pendulum cast with funny cartoon

Thanx for the help,
Evan

·
Registered
58 Posts
PLEASE DON,T

please don,t copy the animation evan it is way off the mark and probably very dangerous to attempt!

take another look at the way neil casts or better still get together with one of the guys in your area and they will help you make much faster progress than any video or book ever could.

regards peter

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would take Peters advice. The only thing you will learn from that cartoon cast is how to bleed.
bob

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Okay, cartoon was not correct.

My problem with the macknellow video was that I couldn't figure out what path the sinker takes.

The way I think of the pendulum is as follows:

The rod is extended out in the opposite direction of the cast with the weight hanging about two feet below the tip guide. The caster, using his arms much like how you saw wood, swings the weight back and forth a few times in the same direction the rod is pointing and then, on the outer-most point of the weight's swing, makes a forward cast.

What I'm not sure about is the path the sinker follows. Can someone give a simple explanation of that?

That is the only thing I can't figure out.

Peter,
I would love to get together with someone around here, but the problem is that with school and not being at home on the weekends, I have no time.
This summer when I take a trip to the beach I can get someone to teach me but until then I have to rely on explanations and videos(preferably free online videos since I am broke). :(

Evan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kingfisherman
What you are doing is not right. My advice would be to learn the ground cast and then after being properly instructed learn the penulem cast. Learning to cast improperly will only make things worse. Goodluck to you.
Bob S

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,341 Posts
King,

We get together and cast regularly down here in wilmington. Come on down if you get the chance. Can give you tips on the ground cast and the pendulum.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Pedulum cast

I personally have never seen the pen. cast performed in this manor it shows the caster compleating one 360 degree circle and loading on the 2nd swing has any one seen this cast performed in this fashion? If so does it create more distance???dcfishman:) :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wait a minute, James, that was me!....

.....didn't see the camera and they caught me in the act! :p
Nothing like a good, scary cast.....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
So wait a minute...

In the pendulum, does the line ever point skyward before the release?

I went to Capitol Longcasters and saw the video of LongRanger and Niel Macknellow casting in the stadium. It looked like the weight was spun on a near-vertical plane, then as the weight came back down it swung behind the sinker and that's when the rod was fully loaded and cast.

Tommy,
Like I said, I would love to come down and learn to cast with some of you guys. But I am only 15 and with school during the week and visiting relatives on Sundays, I am left with only Saturdays, and I am usually working then. If I get a chance you can bet I will find somewhere to meet with some people who can teach me how to cast, but right now I would like to at least learn the proper technique.

Bob,
I can throw a pretty good ground cast, usually out to around 100 yards with a 4oz king anchor, give or take 5 (measured using a line counter on the rod during the retrieve). Not tournament distance, but 300' is fine for an anchor. I've never tried to throw the pendulum, but hearing about some of the distances people on this board hit perked up my intrest. So I've been looking for sites that explain the pen. cast, but none of them are descriptive enough to understand well.

Evan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts