Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7000C3 on my Tsunami 12" surf rod...I have been casting pretty well with my rod and reel but I would like to know the advantage of removing my levelwind from my Abu? Distance....Performance...etc?? Any advice will help. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Distance, but probably not enough to be easily noticed. This is especially true if your reel has been cleaned and lubed recently. Some of the levelwind mechanism is exposed and tends to get dirt and yuck built up on it and this can shorten your casts. As to performance if you remove the levelwind you will need to do a good job of pushing the line back and forth across the spool to maintain a level spool when reeling in. If you fail to do that and build up a big hump of line on the spool you can be almost certain that a large rats nest will appear with your first cast.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If the levelwind is stock, removing it will reduce the resistance of the spool a good bit. This can, depending on how far and hard you are throwing now, have a rather large impact on your distance. I can't give you an exact figure, but I'm sure someone will chime in with an estimate.

There are two ways to deal with the levelwind.

The first, which will add the most distance, is to remove the levelwind mechanism completely and either remove the transition gear from the left sideplate or replace the clicker cog with a speed bushing. I prefer CT reels for surf and pier fishing, so this is what I'd recommend. It will also reduce the likelihood of a shock knot getting caught in the levelwind eye and blowing up your reel.

The second option is to replace the levelwind with an engineered-for-distance levelwind. This will add in a ball bearing for the worm gear and several other additions that will make the levelwind run smoother, thereby reducing the braking effect on the spool.

Evan

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
on a 8nbait rod

remove levelwind, get a conversion bar for 25$?...chop off top bar...leave in the plastic clicker/lw gear on spool...it doesnt slow ya down enough to worry abour or notice while fishing, and ya wont lose your clicker...nt even sure if there is a 7k series "speed bushing" but could be wrong about that..if your that worried about getting everyinch, fish a 6500 mag or get another smaller reel...maybe upgrade the drag while the reels apart if its an older model

no more shock knots caught, and ya got a functional fishing reel that has potential to bomb bait way out there..rest is up to you

jmo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.