how many feet should i be able to cast my setup

8'6 stcroix surf w/ 5000 shimano stradic
15lb test
fish finder rig w/ 2 oz

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Flat

What is the lure weight requirement on the rod? I have a 10 ft Tica with an Okuma Aria 50. Throw 4 oz with 15 lb Suffix line. I can throw consistantly between 275 ft to 300 ft. That is not saying much either, basically I SUCK! Other guys can throw this same rig close to 500 Ft.

Good luck,
- Surfman

·
Registered
578 Posts
Consider 50-100 yards about it , you have many things again long distance , short rod , light weight , heavy line and a fish finder rig .What you do have is a good plugging outfit .

·
Registered
712 Posts
flatfish 100-150 yds is goning to be the maximum effective range on that outfit.but if you don't already use one use a shockleader,using a finger/thumbguard,smaller baits,and clip down rigs. thats the best advice i can give you.

·
Registered
578 Posts
To maximize distance on the same outfit , I would drop down line to 12lb mono or go to braid , up the lead weight to 3-4oz , the st croix (ben doeer ) series are rates quite convservatively and using a OTG casts will handle the heavier weight . Change the fish finder to a simple 1 hook dropper hi-low or a streamlined breakaway style clip down (far out or pulley)rig. Keep the bait size as small as feasible and use streamline leads too.
If all of the above doesn't give you enough distance then you should start looking at a longer rod :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts