Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to casting lures for distance. I was casting a 1.5 oz "old fashioned" lead spoon on my Tica 9' UEHA med rod and after about 1/2 hr I began to get nasty rats nests in my line about mid way out on my casts. They were impossible to get out and I had to cut and retie. This happend 3 times and I lost about 70 yrds of line. Is this fairly common? Or... is this happening due to the line I am using (spiderline super mono xxx - 12 lb & .011 in dia) or is it due to line twist from the spoon?

The temp was about 45 degrees but I have fished in much colder temps with no such problem (however I wasn't casting over 80yds either). Any recommendations? I am think on swithing over to some type of braid (maybe power pro or tuff line). I have very little experience with braids but I was told that they have near zero memory (which should eliminate my problem).

Good part... I hooked up with the largest fresh water drum I have EVER seen. It had to go about 18lb-20lb. If I could drag in a Hybrid bass 1/2 that size I would be a hero :D

Tightlines !!

·
Registered
490 Posts
YOU MUST ALWAYS USE A SWIVEL WHEN CASTING SPOONS. bALL BEARING COST A LITTLE MORE BUT ARE BEST. HOPE THIS HELPS :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LongRanger - the model number that you've stated is the one that I have (3/4 oz - 3 oz). I figure that 1.5 oz spoon should be a good match for this rod.

Is there a good measure of if the rod is "loading" enough? Is this someting that one can "feel" or is the distance casted an indicator? I'm on a very narrow pier where I have to hang the spoon over the back end of the pier to be able to launch it with any type of "umph". I'm not sure if this is productive - but I don't see any other way.

Tightlines !!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Guys you can change rods or line all you want, but if your are throwing 1.5 oz spoon for a 1/2 hour your line is going to twist.To solve problem put on a swivel.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
472 Posts
K. I. S. S. rule definately applies here.

Use a good swivel, and a couple of feet of leader on the spoon.

Your rod's fine, your line's fine. It ain't rocket science. Don't make it more complicated than neccessary.

But a good swivel on the end of your main line is neccessary.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Since you have the correct rod, you should follow the advice above and use a high quality swivel rated at 35-50 pounds. I would consider the SPRO brand for starters. Use the mallest one that you can find. Always make sure that your line is tight on the retrieve. Hi-Tech lines hate loose coils.

I also hang my bait over a rail on a narrow pier. Start the cast slow and build speed as you raise the rod. Once you are facing your target, push and pull. With light baits, you need to keep the cast smooth and easy. In order to load the rod, your lure has to swing to the outside in a large arc. If you move too fast you will only bend the rod. If only the tip is bending, the rod is not loaded. A properly loaded rod will bend down to the butt. The lure should leave the rod at a 45 degree angle to the ground. During our fishing tournament last weekend, I watched (Salty) send a 1.25oz lure well over 400 feet. He moderates the Virgina Board so you can contact him for specs on rod and reel.

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quality swivel makes sense and I'll be sure to tie one on the next time.

After thinking back - I remember this happening earlier this year with my "normal" setup. I was getting rats nests in my line mid cast throwing 1/4 oz jigs... hummmm. I'll try the quality swivel route and see what happens.

Also, I know this has been asked a dozen times... but... are there sites that offer basic info on casting styles and techniques (pics - diagrams - etc)? I'm presently using a simple overhead snap cast. I'm sure with proper technique I could add quite some distance. I'm only guessing... but I think I'm sending 1.5 oz only about 65-75 yrds.

Tightlines!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts