Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like casting metal in the surf for Spanish and Blues but you need the distance to catch the Spanish reliably. I have recently used 2 oz stingsilvers with 10 ft Tsunami airwave with good results.
What is the best rod-lure combo for maximum distance? I currently use a 10ft Tsunami airwave with 14 lb Sakuma line (same diameter as 12 lb ande) and 40 lb Fluoro leader. Can I get better distance by using my 12 ft St Croix with a 3 oz lure instead of 2 0z, and if so, what lure do you recommend that comes in 2.5 to 3 oz? I usually retie after about 40-50 casts which is never an issue since Ive got lots of pre-cut leader material. Apparently a lot of people use Shore Lure Glass Minnow at Hatteras for casting for Spanish and Bluefish. I think the largest size is 2 0z. I bought a bunch of these when I was at hatteras this year and cant wait to try them out. But for maximum distance, is there another lure that beats the 2 0z Glass Minnow and stingsilver? And is there a lure that is slightly heavier than these, perhaps 2.5 oz? I don't think the stingsilver and glass minnows are made over 2 oz, or at least I cant find it. Oh, and I dont want to pay more than 5 bucks for a lure. I know that some folks in the
past have talked about Roberts and T-hex but there is no way I will pay 8 bucks for these lures, just to be cut off.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I think it will mainly come down to your individual casting style and how proficient you are with it . . . The "best rod" for one person might be very different with another person using it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts