Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like casting metal in the surf for Spanish and Blues but you need the distance to catch the Spanish reliably. I have recently used 2 oz stingsilvers with 10 ft Tsunami airwave with good results.
What is the best rod-lure combo for maximum distance? I currently use a 10ft Tsunami airwave with 14 lb Sakuma line (same diameter as 12 lb ande) and 40 lb Fluoro leader. Can I get better distance by using my 12 ft St Croix with a 3 oz lure instead of 2 0z, and if so, what lure do you recommend that comes in 2.5 to 3 oz? I usually retie after about 40-50 casts which is never an issue since Ive got lots of pre-cut leader material. Apparently a lot of people use Shore Lure Glass Minnow at Hatteras for casting for Spanish and Bluefish. I think the largest size is 2 0z. I bought a bunch of these when I was at hatteras this year and cant wait to try them out. But for maximum distance, is there another lure that beats the 2 0z Glass Minnow and stingsilver? And is there a lure that is slightly heavier than these, perhaps 2.5 oz? I don't think the stingsilver and glass minnows are made over 2 oz, or at least I cant find it. Oh, and I dont want to pay more than 5 bucks for a lure. I know that some folks in the
past have talked about Roberts and T-hex but there is no way I will pay 8 bucks for these lures, just to be cut off.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Also reel is very important. There are spinners with their spool design for more distance. I have used Diawia ss series for years trout plugging. They now make a larger "drum" size distance casting reel that I am just trying out. Other makers offer distance casting spinners as well. Something to consider. best - glenn

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought eight 3 oz diamond jigs (red) from overstockbait.com (Bead Tackle Bridgeport Diamond Jig - 3 Oz) that were on sale for $3.99 each. It apparently is a closeout, overstock or discontinued item.
It claims that the retail price was $6.99. They also have 4 ounce in hot chartreuse. I hope these do the trick when the fish are way out there. I would have preferred chartreuse but 4 oz metal is too
heavy for my liking.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I tried using 10lb braid this year and it greatly increased distance over the 12lb mono I've been using. The braid is the Fireline Crystal. But after a couple days in a row of fishing my finger was hamburger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Used 10lb power pro this year for the first time and i love it. I use a penn sargus 4000 7ft ugly stick for throwing metal and get plenty of distance. I mostly throw 1/2 -2 oz lures. Also use it on my light bottom fishing outfits works great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
10 lb. Power Pro and use a three or four feet of 20 lb. fluorocarbon - some like a 10 foot rod and some like an eleven footer rated 1-3 oz or 1-4... 1.5 ounce lures are fine. Shore minnow or ES lures - pick ones that really look good. Hot pink/green is a hot color now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive stayed away from braid because of its issues with tangling and it cuts into fingers. Do you notice a lot of big tangles messes with braid? I wonder if the Coban tape that I used with the mono line with good
success would solve the issue with braid?

With my 10' rod 2oz sting silver was the sweet spot, braid tied to 25lb fluro couple feet long and not thru the top eye.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use 30# power pro to a 20# leader no issues with cut fingers. As mention above the reel has a lot to do with it and make sure the leader stays out of tip of the rod. 10' rod is a must in a crowd and for the right distance. I love my 5000 Stradic but Shimano has been building some junk latley.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If 30# braid has the same diameter as 8# mono, does that mean it will cast as far as the 8 # mono? And will 20# braid cast as far as 6# mono? I heard that the smaller the braid the harder it is on the
fingers? Do you use any protective covering for your casting finger like Coban tape and do you use a spinning reel? Ive got two rods and one reel. The two rods are Tsunami Airwave 12' and St Croix Triumph 10ft along with Penn Spinfisher 5500 reel. Ive been using Sakuma 14 lb which has same diameter as 12 lb ande. So do you think that If I switch to 30 or even 20 lb braid that I would see a marked difference in my casting,
perhaps enough of a difference to get to those Spanish when the water is suitable, instead of just Bluefish?

Power Pro US Sizes
SIZE (lb.) DIAMETER (in) ~ Mono Equivalent
8 / 1
10 / 2
15 / 4
20 / 6
30 / 8

I use 30# power pro to a 20# leader no issues with cut fingers. As mention above the reel has a lot to do with it and make sure the leader stays out of tip of the rod. 10' rod is a must in a crowd and for the right distance. I love my 5000 Stradic but Shimano has been building some junk latley.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
when i really want to get it out there there i will throw a 1 or 1.5 oz glass minnow w my 11 foot cabelas predator w/10lb superslick PP, use 24" of 25lb fluoro at end...cant even imagine how far this would throw with bigger guides.

have never cut my finger w braid spinners fishing pp superslick

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've never cut my finger. You have to have a long drop on the cast to get distance. If you have the lure up at the top like your bass fishing then I could see it hurting your finger. I would say the biggest thing I see bettween the ones catching and the ones not is the wrong drop on the lure for the cast. Then to short of a rod & slow reel

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've never cut my finger. You have to have a long drop on the cast to get distance. If you have the lure up at the top like your bass fishing then I could see it hurting your finger. I would say the biggest thing I see between the ones catching and the ones not is the wrong drop on the lure for the cast. Then to short of a rod & slow reel
It just needed to be said again... that and use 10 lb PP. No substitutes.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Didn't have any tangle or wind knot problems. I am sure some tape on the finger would have helped. But I was fishing dawn to dusk for a couple days straight. Biggest Spanish I got during that trip was maybe 3lbs, but dozens at 12-14". I will probably never go back to mono for my Spanish rig.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.