Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys are casting lures from the surf, how far are you casting, it seems to me like no fish would be feeding in the waves and you would have to cast pass the waves. Is this just a misunderstanding? When I am casting mirrolures from the surf how should I do it? Thanks

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I should stay out of this because you are probably talking hard core surf fishing. But in FL. most fish caught off the beaches are close to shore. No more then 10-15' from shore. That is on the West Coast. East coast you will have to cast way out. I think. Never fished on the East Coast of FL.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I should stay out of this because you are probably talking hard core surf fishing. But in FL. most fish caught off the beaches are close to shore. No more then 10-15' from shore. That is on the West Coast. East coast you will have to cast way out. I think. Never fished on the East Coast of FL.
Ok, and I am not much of a hardcore fisherman, I was just wondering should I be casting as far as I can or just cast into the wash

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Lot of trout and red drum in the suds. Blues will be in there too. Flounder can be very very close. Fish it allll the way to the sand.

Also lots of whiting and pompano right in the wash.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A lot of fish, especially flounder/fluke are right at your feet. If you have any kind of structure (bar, cut, slough) the fish will be in there.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have caught over four ft sharks in the suds.was less then thigh high deep water . so don't let casting distance fool you. .btw you don't need to jig the mirrorlure while surf fishing. Let the waves do the action , just keep the slack out the line that's all . basicly dead sticking cause you really dont give any effort.if you think your reeling slow,go even slower.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Alot of people have said some really great tips. Sometimes the fish are not at your feet. Sometimes you gotta go past the breaking waves. Lots of folks love mirror lures but their shape tends to be less aerodynamic. Doesn't mean you can't get 50-70 yards. IMHO, I think you should look into casting metals. Your will achieve max distance, catch fish, and save money. They don't look all to fancy like other lures but that's because they been working so long that they don't need the marketing. If you have a rod that can handle it, they have lures that go up to 6 oz. However, these types of lures take true time and patience to master fishing all levels of the water column.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As mentioned above,when surf fishing,fish all of the water.Many times fish will follow a lure all the way to the sand and then strike it at the last second.When i surf fish i fish a fan pattern...cast left.then at right of that and so on to end at my right(when you have the room to do this).This way i cover more area.After that i move 50-100yrds and repeat.This has been very productive for me.I have caught and seen others catch fish in 1-2 ft.of water especially on sand bars.Many fish you catch over time will surprise you.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
He should let us know if he is a big time surf fisherman, or just a little beach fisherman like some of us. What beaches do you fish? 12-15' surf rod, or 7 or 8' spinning rod? That would help to know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm just a "little beach fisherman" and when I'm fishing lures in the Carolina surf I usually throw either a 1 ounce silver Kastmaster or ¾-1 ounce jig using a 7½' spinning rod. Trout and Drum can be found just off the sand at high tide. I've caught Bluefish and Spanish further out. Trout will school up in a "hole" so if I catch one I feel I'm on a good spot. If I cast for 10 minutes or so with no action I'll move along covering water. I have also caught flounder, pompano, and mullet using jigs in the surf. There were false albacore in the surf last fall. I hooked up a couple times but never got my hands on one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm just a "little beach fisherman" and when I'm fishing lures in the Carolina surf I usually throw either a 1 ounce silver Kastmaster or ¾-1 ounce jig using a 7½' spinning rod. Trout and Drum can be found just off the sand at high tide. I've caught Bluefish and Spanish further out. Trout will school up in a "hole" so if I catch one I feel I'm on a good spot. If I cast for 10 minutes or so with no action I'll move along covering water. I have also caught flounder, pompano, and mullet using jigs in the surf. There were false albacore in the surf last fall. I hooked up a couple times but never got my hands on one.
Most would be surprised how far a solid 7 1/2 ft rod can cast.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He should let us know if he is a big time surf fisherman, or just a little beach fisherman like some of us. What beaches do you fish? 12-15' surf rod, or 7 or 8' spinning rod? That would help to know.
Im just a little beach fisherman, I fish Oak Island which isn't the best because there is not much structure (that I have found so far). I like to fish rips because I am new to fishing and those are the easiest for me to spot. I use 7-9' spinning rods and the majority of the time I soak bait, but I have recently picked up a few mirrolures that I would like to try next time I am at the beach.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As mentioned above,when surf fishing,fish all of the water.Many times fish will follow a lure all the way to the sand and then strike it at the last second.When i surf fish i fish a fan pattern...cast left.then at right of that and so on to end at my right(when you have the room to do this).This way i cover more area.After that i move 50-100yrds and repeat.This has been very productive for me.I have caught and seen others catch fish in 1-2 ft.of water especially on sand bars.Many fish you catch over time will surprise you.
I like the idea of just going out with a 7 1/2 foot rod and just walking up and down the beach all day definitely will give it a try.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts