Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any distance caster in the Chapel Hill – Raleigh, NC area that would be willing to help out a novice caster? Just looking for some tips to help put the bait/lure where it needs to be. I plan on spending a couple hours at Jorden Lake this weekend but can go elsewhere if it’s better for you.

Thanks,

mapcaster in Chapel Hill

·
Registered
101 Posts
mapcaster,
i live in graham, n.c. and practice all the time in mebane. im not that good as far as technique but i do go to a good practice field and can hit 150 yds most of the time. still trying to improve-- it takes a lot of practice!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm in Cary, NC and am keen to share techniques with other casters. I surf fish and go for distance with my long rig.

I often spend time in Charlotte on business and would be happy to get together with you TB.

Durham and Mebane are great as they're so much closer. How about a couple of hours this coming weekend if the weather clears as it's supposed to?

·
Registered
52 Posts
FishRung,

I also live in Cary. Would be interested in getting together to cast. Not sure, I have a lot to contribute. PB with fishing gear is a little over 500 ft.

Send me a personal mail and let me know how to get in touch with you.

Dan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a group is forming

master baiter, FishRung, FisherDan

This is great, I'm sure we can learn from each other.

I could work in something this weekend. I have gone to Jordon Lake a couple times to pratice. Just throwing 3 oz. lure off the beach. Hit about 80-90 yards at most. (never know when a stray bass might be swimming by)

I'll let you more experianced guys work out a location for this weekend as I don't know any other place to go.

Is there anything special I need to get to cast onto land vs. water?

Thanks for the response,

mapcaster

·
Registered
309 Posts
You might want to throw something that has no hooks attached :D

I usually throw a 150gm weight, torpedo shaped, but I'll have to get some with no grip wires.

As far as a venue, I don't know of a field in the area that we can use. Any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
master baiter, FishRung, FisherDan

I'm heading out to Jordan Lake to the beach at Ebeneser on Sunday late morning to pratice casting. All are welcome to join me. Bring a catfish rod to put some bait in the water at the same time. Never know what might happen. I should be there by 10:30.

mapcaster

·
Registered
309 Posts
mapcaster,

I'd love to but I'm decorating this weekend (I know, I can hear the derision from here!) . If I can squeeze an hour I will.

FisherDan is out of town this w/e.

Best regards

·
Registered
309 Posts
mapcaster

I did get out for that hour, but the gate at Ebenezer is closed. The ramps were open, but I didn't see a truck without a trailer, so I guess you weren't there at that time.

Another time.

Fishrung

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry we missed each other

I was surprised to see the gate locked when I got there at 10. Guess they didn't want anyone slipping on the melted ice. I did check out the boat ramp but there were boats launching so I went down to Farington landing and played there until about 1. Next time we should set up a back-up location.

I do need some help. I'm not getting over a 100 yards with 5 oz. on the 12' solaris. Casting about the same with the 10'. Being new I might just be too careful and not loading the rod as it could be.

I won't know what next weekend has instore until thursday, but I hope to get more pratice in.

Mapcaster

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunday the 8th.

I'm going to try to make it out to Jordan Lake again on sunday to practice casting, weather permiting. All in the area are welcome to join (and help) me. I'm going to go the the beach at Ebenezer beach first and if it's closed again I'll head to Farrington landing. I guess about 10-10:30am. I'm open to other location if someone know of any.

I'll confirm by 8:00 Sat. night that I will be going for sure.

mapcaster

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mapcaster,

I won't be there as my daughter is dancing in competition near Charlotte. Next w/e should be OK.

Later

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys I'm from Sanford NC, just south of the lake.
I would be interested in linking up with guys sometime.
I'm not a very good caster, but we could all probably
learn something from one another. Just PM me and let
me know the next time you go or just post right here on
the distance forum. Hope to get to meet some of you guys.
Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
By all means, come and join us. We haven't actually succeeded in getting together yet, but I'm sure it will happen one day soon :)

I should have time this Sunday around 9:00AM. Mapcaster goes to Ebenezer on Jordan. It should be open by now, although I haven't checked it this week.

I'm keen to get some practice/advice myself as I plan to be at the SE Regionals in Wilmington at the end of March.

Sunday?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I notice that some of you have been practicing at Jordan Lake. I tried several spots at Jordan, but have been plagued with getting hung up on branches, stumps, etc.

Have you tried Lake Crabtree County Park off I-40 near RDU airport? There is a parking area adjoining a large expanse of grass off to your right about a quarter of a mile from the park entrance.

Although there is a huge grass area, it is not suitable for casting practice because there are usually quite a few people around using the area. To practice without endangering anyone else in the area, I use one of two points of land jutting out into the lake to cast from. I have practiced there many times and have never had to break off. The bottom was completely cleared of stumps before the the lake was filled and has remained clear of large large limbs, etc.

If the area is not crowded with kids and dogs and you want to measure a cast try this method. Following your cast, reel in all the slack until you feel the weight of the sinker and then slip a piece of paper, or something similar, under the line before reeling in. Then you can stretch the line out on the grass and pace it off to get a very rough approximation of your length.

For a more precise measurement, I use an old reel that has distance marks on the line. Stretch out the line on the grass and use the little glo-colored flags sold in hardware and home improvement stores to mark out distances on the grass. This creates a giant measuring stick and you just walk off the line along side of your flags. This certainly doesn't give you tournament precision, but I will give you a rough idea of your distances.

The biggest drawback of using this area in Lake Crabtree Park is that following a rain the grassy area will become boggy. The points that I use are on dry ground but you have to slog through the bog to get there. So bring some rubber boots. I use a pair made from some old waders that I cut the boots from, but any calf high boots will work. Another limitation, it also not a suitable practice area for a group of casters. The points will only accomodate two or three casters max.

Unfortunately, until we can locate a suitable practice field, we'll have to make do with places like this.

Dan

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes, I Will Be At SPSP April 3, 2004

Hi "BAYFISHER",

Yes, I will be at "Sandy Point State Park" on the 3rd of April, 2004 for the "Rockfish Challenge".

I will be there in an "Official" capacity for "Capital Longcasters", so I will not be competing.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Good luck in the tournament!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts