Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a bad form.... I need HELP! I have a 310GTI and a Delmar 285 on a Ugly Stick (doing piers, hopefully will do the surf soon), and I'm trying to cast, but my casts have been short, so if you guys can give me a stepbystep, or any pointers, then that would be GREAT!

·
Registered
194 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words...go pick up a book for $20 and get the fundamentals down. If you have an understanding friend, pick his brains next time you're fishing w/him/her.

Otherwise, your question is a bit too broad to be effectively answered here. Perhaps if you could tell us what specific area of your casting form is "bad"?

Maybe the other members could help you more, but that's my2. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Better yet, pick up Neil Mackellow's video. Watch it over and over, then watch it some more.

Then talk to LongRanger, Longcaster, Mark Edwards, or one of the other monster casters on this board about getting out to one of the clinics/practices. There are a lot of guys on this board who love to share technique tips. (I think we have a couple of world and national champions lurking around in here somewhere too ;-)

I've been casting for about 4 months. I started out at just under 200' and with their help (and they can attest to the fact that I need plenty of help), I'm now at about 360'. Close to double. And I'm still entirely spastic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The people on this board are the most helpful people. They will get you on track to increase your distance.

Neil's video is very good but having someone help you is even better!

Nelson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh ok, I guess I shoulda been more specific... I'm really new to baitcasting/conventional reels, in the past I've only used spinning, but on a recent boat trip, I got turned onto a conventional reel. The boat was easy, we just let the line sink down, and brought it up. But now that I want to cast from a pier/surf/anywhere, I was trying to figure out how to cast (hence my broad question of "how to cast"). So what I basically did was put the reel into freespool, then held the line down, put the rod behind me, whipped it forward, "tried" controlling the spool with my thumb, and hope that I didn't get a birds nest (which I did a few times). So yea, I know I'm still a little vague, but as you can see, this is pretty new to me, so I'm not even sure of all the terminology, and I have a feeling I did everything wrong! I'll try to get a chance to get those videos, but if you guys have any basic tips for me, I'd really appreciate it! thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fishny , neither of your reels are casting reels ,you are never going to get much distance with them . ulgy sticks are not the greatest casting rods distance wise either , I would look to upgrade the reel before the rod ,something along the lines of a penn 525 can be used for both casting and boat fishing

·
Registered
216 Posts
Reel Upgrade

FishNY,
Another easy casting reel for beginners is the Abu Garcia 6500-C3. It has a level wind and is good with anti-backlash. For a level wind, it free spools very easy, but you can adjust the breaks until you get comfortable. Also, it is only about $70.00 which is a lot less than the 525 mag, costing about $125.00 depending on where you look. If you go to www.hatterasoutfitters.com you can get pricing for the two reels as well as all of the upgrades, look in "Reel Candy". There is a a lot you can do for the 6500 to make it a nice distance casting reel. I personally use one and have had very little instruction and have taught myself to cast 438 feet so far ( best so far, but could really use some instruction!:( ).

Hope it helps. Good luck and tight lines,
-Surfman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts