Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is me, or is everyone casting straight at night time. it is weird when most of the people who can't cast straight during the day time, suddenly cast straight at night in a crowded pier. :confused:
everyone make a bad cast once in awhile, but it gets pretty annoying when people who can't cast straight starts to accuse others of tangling their lines. :mad:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Tell me about it,had a guy last season tell me that I crossed his line,when I casted out before him and caught a nice croaker and as I was reeling in, the fish crossed his line and he started to yell at me,this happened a few more times after that and finally he left. :D :D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think most folks look at where they want the cast to land when it's light outside and they can see that far, but at night you'll tend to watch your rod because it's all you can see, which (IMHO) helps the matter of where it goes. For me, 2 things that help are staying away from the #!*#!*! braided lines when casting spinners at night and level-winds on conventional gear, so you don't have to worry about how it gets spooled back on the reel.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Happened to me at NB last year. For the most part I cast straight (but I do screw up sometimes too), I got yelled at by some punk. It was clear that he was casting towards left (that's where my line was), and I was straight out. Anyway, I use braided line, and my solution is to "cast it where they aint". I would pick a spot where no one has interest in casting to, so far it's working. I still catch my share and no BS from knuckleheads.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Know what you mean, my problem here in Jersey is the daggone surfers...you get a spot with a little mix and waves, and they are up next to your line....nasty too!! figure they own the beach....

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The Bozo's that can't cast at night I can deal with...It's the Bozo's that drink too much (passing out is not fun), fall asleep with their 6 rods and 1 oz sinkers cast out, now comes the tide change, and all their lines driff aimlessly into mine while they sleep the night away! :mad: Braid line makes things even worse.

Easy to solve - Where's my line nippers? ;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Husky you would be surprized at the amount of surfers we have. In Belmar a ten block stretch you just about have to beat em off with a stick. The waves are only four to six feet, but man they are like a bunch of seals.... ya can move em a little with eight and bait put kinda close, but then they get nasty.....salt

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
"Only 4 to 6 feet waves?" Man, that's epic conditions for east coast. Those are calling in sick days. Down here in VA Beach when the surf is going off, it's packed with surfers from the 1st St Jetty to 88th St.
I've seen a confrontations at the 1st St jetty where it's a dedicated surf spot (no swimming) and it's packed with surfers. Then some tourist decides to toss 2oz and a top and bottom rig into the surf zone and starts to yell at the punk surfers for getting into the line.
It's all about who is there first and respect for each other.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
...but you have to respect a 2 oz sinker coming at you at Mach V. ;) I don't know how you guys get to fish!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Even Assateage has surfers too;I kick them out of my spot and let the real men with rods,hooks,and sinkers take contol of the beach :rolleyes: :p .

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, there were surfers at assategue even during march, when the water temperature was in low 40's. :eek:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've surfed and fished for a little over, well quite a few years. It's like the thread about the weird stuff you see, the guys at Lynnhaven were just lost without a clue!! Very few good surf spots that break well over a sandbar even look like a good fishin' hole to me. To me a good spot is the end of the bar where the water is going back out to the ocean, not the point break. Or better yet a nice, deep slew that has next to no waves at all. Anyway the two types should never get that close if they know what they're doing, but that's a lot to ask. At the very least it's like C2H&G says, a little respect goes a long way, if someone is surfing in your fishing hole before you get there or the opposite (fishing at the surf spot) then keep looking. There's a lot of beach out there. I usually have both rods and boards with me and if I can't catch fish I'll try the waves. If all that fails I also take a beach chair so I can kick back and at least catch a buzz!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts