Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at Kenilworth Park casting practice we had a number of new casters including a very talented lady named Roselyn. She broke 300 feet on her first day out. I can see 400 feet just around the corner for her. We also meet Jeremy. Jeremy set a goal of 400 feet. After a few pointers, it appeared that Jeremy reached 395-405 feet. The field was a little wet so we could not run a tape.

After practice eight of us including two women went to Sandy Point State Park to pull Croakers. As soon as the storm passed we hit the beach. In the first ten minutes, Larry Ayers was off to the races with two rods bending. He had four before I had my first. I think that we fished for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. The bite was moderate but steady. We stopped just after dark. After watching our steady catch, other anglers began asking questions about our bait, equipment and techniques. One fisherman stopped fishing to ask for lessons on the spot. So Larry Brooks, the current 2003 National AA champion, gave him a few tips. The fisherman added immediate distance to his cast. He had a big smile on his face as he went back to fishing.

It was a fun day of casting and catching.

·
Registered
262 Posts
James, Our family had a wonderful day on Saturday. And we are all looking forward to eating our CROAKER's. Larry Brook's did a wonderful job teaching a gentleman how to cast; after Larry used the guys rod and threw it and the top piece separated from the butt.8(---) My oldest girl was happy when she was asked to get in the water and retrieve the top half of the rod. I guess that the rod was not pushed together good enough. Next time we will bring some bug spray and some warmer clothes. We are looking forward to eating our catch. Be sure to have your license ready, because the ranger's are checking. I can still hear the splash of the top half of the rod hitting the water. That was a funny moment.:D pelican man.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His rod was not ready for Larry's raw power. The look on Larry's face was priceless.:D It was good day. I look forward to doing it again. What go is the casting if you're not catching. I'll let you know when I go back out for Blues. I may good next week. Spool up with heavy line because the Rays follow them and clean up the scraps. Next time I will bring my video camera and we can post a movie online.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I appreciate the tips and encouragement at the field Saturday. I was not happy that I had to come to the office instead of going to Sandy Point with you guys. Glad to hear you were catching!

·
Registered
262 Posts
James, I am still surprised that the Croaker's did not mind our Neon Orange Sufix leader line; on all 3 rods. Our final count was 9. pelican man.:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
OldBay,

It was good meeting you, you are looking good already.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thanks Aero, I am still waiting for some of the lead you were throwing to come back to earth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts