Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody tried casting a 6/0 or 9/0 senator, i think it might work for shark fishing but im not sure if it could cast.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 6/0 is heavy but castable - although difficult to do so. There are only a few people I know that cast them - big dudes. I'd pass on the 9/0 - too big.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Don B from Hawaii would be the resident expert on that.

Those guys cast the big reels (Newells too) with 60-100lb test for Ulua (Giant Trevally) out there.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I used to cast a 6/0 somewhat regularly. A little daunting at first, but the biggest key is when you are attempting to feather the spool or bring the spool to a stop, make sure you use the side of your thumb on the spool. A lot easier and a lot less painful if something goes wrong.

Robert

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Used to here about people casting 4/0's for Ulua when I was on Oahu but I really don't think I could handle casting a reel that big. When I hold my 4/0 it just seems too big to even consider. The one I have holds almost 600 yrds of 30# test. Can you imagine the backlash you could get on that sucker ????

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
BStarling

Wait for Bill to reply. I think he has a wide 4/0 he cast on a regular basis. I am pretty sure he has a 6/0 bolted to a heaver as well.

On a side note, thanks for posting that pick of Bill in the shorts. Gives me some ammo when he starts in on my ruby red crocs!!!!

Darin

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can get 30-40 yards casting in the field but more like 30-50 feet with a sinker and a pound of ladyfish when fishing.
Jake

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Wait for Bill to reply. I think he has a wide 4/0 he cast on a regular basis. I am pretty sure he has a 6/0 bolted to a heaver as well.

On a side note, thanks for posting that pick of Bill in the shorts. Gives me some ammo when he starts in on my ruby red crocs!!!!

Darin
First let me say that those crocks are not red. THEY ARE PINK!!!

Now to casting:

Yes you can cast those things. That particular cast was not very good, but Tommy measured it at 286 feet with his laser. The trick is to go really slow until the hit at the end of the cast. Nail it hard early in the cast and you will have the mother of all backlashes! I use a pulley rig normally when I'm casting. I've also used a 100 lb casting leader (shock) with a cannonball rig of 130-450 cable. The cannon ball rig is only about 3 feet long. This works pretty well. The 100 mono shock is usually enough to keep the shark from abrading it and breaking off.

Bill:fishing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Penn Senator 6/0, 9/0,10/0 and 12/0 are not made for casting, but for trolling and jigging. However, I regularly cast 6/0 and 9/0 from the pier to avoid tangling. Using 80 lb mono top shot and 6 oz and 8 oz sinkers, 7 ft rod, a full swing cast can go 35 to 45 yards. I also use 12 oz sinker to "twist" cast the 10/0 and 12/0 with 120 lb mono on it for 20-25 yards cast (get away from the pier). The Twist cast is to put the 7 ft long butt rod end under my left armpit then twist the whole body out.
During the dry land practices, I don't remember how many times I made bird nest. But the heavy mono line is easy for untangle the mess. It took me 3 years to manage the heavy Penn casts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never tried the 6/0! Good luck on that because if you mess up the backlash will be horrible. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most guys in Hawaii use 12'-14' casting rods with jig masters and Penn 3/0-6/0. Newell 300-600 reels.
The guys that use 9/0's are all drones or kayakers.
Practice is the key and yes thumb the spool not the line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts