Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple question. Can mullet be caught in a castnet on the beaches or shoreline at night? Want to gather up some before they leave the local waters. How much longer will they be around the Norfolk/Va Beach area?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Haven't tried for mullet up here

but down in NC I would sight cast for em. Never had much luck just blind casting in th surf.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys

Didn't practice yet. After locating the net in one of the many moving boxes on the front porch, I ended up tidying up a bit. THrew out unnecessary stuff, extra boxes, etc......well, I'm sure you get the picture. Not going out tonight. Looks like rain. After last weekend, I don't want to get caught in another downpour. Will practice some in the morning before heading out to fish.

I'll check the calusa link Digger. Thanks. Have an old one. Guess I have gotten stronger thatn I was the last time I handled that net. Many years ago. It doesn't seen too heavy now. Have read about the Fitec with the ring. Sounds easy. Let me see how practice with this one goes first.

Well I'll probably have to cast a lot firebox. Cause quick I am not. Might get lucky though. Thanks.

Fishwagon I'll go read the other post. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok

The net is roughly 8 feet across. Figuring in my height of 5'3" and the weight of that net let's see what I come up with.

8 foot hangling length shortened by grasping the net at pocket length, that takes it to about a doubled 3 feet of length in my holding hand and leaves about a 2 foot drop length to the ground. So far so good.

Switched everything to the left hand and now dividing the hanging lead end in half with the right hand. Need to have half of 8 feet in one hand and the other half in the other hand. Dang. Got to go back thru the steps.

Got it now! Had to grasp the hanging length....about 4 feet of thickness into the right hand. Now on to step 6. Wish I had gotten the net with the smallest mesh openings. Sure hope my fingers don't get caught when I cast.

Step 8: grasping the lead in the correct position and reaching it up towards my head. Now what's next? They want me to put it where? Between my lips? Let me read that again. No way, no how. Had a "male" cat a while back who once marked that net as "his territory." Don't think there's enough bleach in the world to wipe out the residue.:barf: Didn't mind kissing that cat, but this'll seem more like kissing his :jawdrop:

Let me read the remaining steps anyway. Well in theory it should all work. Just wonder why the guy in the diagram isn't facing us in step 13. That's the release point. Did they forget to leave out the step on how to avoid getting "rope burn or something?"

Well, that settles that. Gotta get a smaller net for sure. Under 6 feet. And no more male cats are gonna be allowed in the house.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops, I goofed

8 feet was the diameter, not the radius. Radius is from the center outward to the edge.:rolleyes: That would make it 4 feet for the radius.

Guess it's back to the math books for me.

The lessons for the 5 foot or smaller diameter net without the large center ring will due. Actually tried it and it worked.

So....I will be able to use that net after all. A plus is that I won't need chum. Kinda has that built in scent, if you know what I mean. Stand clear fellow castnetters. Here I come!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts