Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help buying cast net
what size cast net should i buy if i want to catch baitfish.

thanx

flatfish

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
A 3 or 4 ft diameter will do you in most cases,especially if you are throwing in tight ditches with lots of snags.. I use a 7ft for most of my bait catching but most times I throw in open water or canals that I am sure have no big snags.. How long have you thrown a castnet and what kind of bait are you going for? Most prefer a 3/8ths mesh,some when after big mullet or menhaden throw 1/2 or 3/4 mesh(and lots of lead),it makes it sink a little quicker... ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this will be my first time throwing cast net, is it dificult throwing cast net?i see young kids throwing them all over the jetty.

i'm looking to catch peanuts and smaller bait fish.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Being first time make sure you get a small 4 or 5 ft net then. They are easier to learn with. I take net and put my left hand in the middle splitting the net in two halves. I then take a piece of the bottom and put it in my mouth. Then with my other hand I grab it an arms length away from the piece in my mouth. That should give it a little opening to where it will completely open up when you twist and toss out. Make sure you hold on to the net until it starts to open up. I recommend throwing it around in your grass until you get a nice rythm throwing it. There are many ways to throw it I just find that way easier.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well depending on the size. When he said 3/8 and 1/2 and 3/4 he meant the size of the holes in the net to let anything pass thru. So if you want smaller bait then get the one with the smaller diameter holes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i like a 5 footer-3/8th mesh. i hold the bulk of net in rihgt hand , put one lead in right andanother in the left. i also hold the rope in left hand . i throw with right so i hold the most weight in my throwing hand.:cool: :cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
My 6yr old can throw a 3fter.. He has no front teeth(I throw my net like fl fisherman said),so it made it a little difficult to teach.. :D So,a friend of mine throws the way BillR said,he taught him.. Now the youngen catches finger mullet and pinfish in it..
Flatfish,if you are just starting,watch other folks thow,and imitate.. Try both ways and see which works for you,different strokes fer,well you know the saying.. For peanut bunker or finger mullet,a 3/8 mesh,4 ft.. One of those Betts nets would do fine to start.. ;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Billr thats just the opposite of what i do ;)

I use a 4ft net since I'm usually throwing in creeks. I grab the net with my lef thand about 6" to a foot below the ring. I then take a pice of the lead line with my right hand and bring it up to my left. I hold that piece with my left hand. Then I grab the same piece of lead line at the bottom of the net so I have an open panel right in front of me. To throw I turn right and rotate my body counterclockwise, throwing my hands out at the last minute, kind of crossing my right over my left to get the circular net to spin open.

Hope that helps:)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
FYI info:
When selecting a cast net, you must ask yourself some important questions in order to pick the right net for your intended use. First, what size baitfish are you pursuing? The size of your bait directly relates to the mesh size you need on your net. Second, where are you going to be using your cast net? The type of water environment you will be using your net in and its depth should play a part in helping you determine your best cast net weight. Third, how much bait do you intend to catch and how fast do you want to catch it? This question will determine which radius size is best for you. Remember that larger radius nets (8 to 14 ft.) will allow you to catch more bait in less time, but they also require a better throwing technique than smaller nets. Additionally, more time should be allowed to extract your catch from the larger nets. The best all around choice for most anglers is the smaller radius cast net (3 to 7 ft.). You will still catch good quantities of bait and have the good fortune of spending less time extracting your catch. While on the subject of radius size, please remember to check your state game and fish regulations before deciding on any particular net.

I am hooked on this cast net fellow anglers. EZ to throw check it out. I know I have posted this before but for the beginner its the the easiest to learn to throw and you can do it with one hand.

The secret to the ease of use in the new EZ Throw series is its patented accu-throw ring. The entire aluminum ring at the top of the cast net displaces centrifugal force evenly to the cast net ensuring it will open correctly every time. Every EZ Throw cast net comes with a free instructional video to help the novice fisherman "throw like a pro" in minutes.
http://www.castnets.com/cart/products.asp?category=4

·
Registered
680 Posts
i use mine to catch finger mullet, and cob mullet. i throw from the shore of the delaware bay, or from the pier at cape henlopen. sometimes the rocks at indian river inlet. i have about a 45 ft. rope to make longer casts when neccesary. i catch.soak in brine solution , and then vacuum pack them. they keep good all year.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Personally there is only ONE way to thorw a cast net. I learned off a vidio on the net. At the site below you will find out anything and everything you need to know about castnets. You can also order online if you so desire. Whether you have been casting for years or just starting you may get some valuble info in the online vidio. Check it out HERE!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Billr,
If you don't mind, could you tell me what's a cob mullet? I'm familiar with silver, and black mullet but dumber than a stump about cob mullet.
Thanks,
Soapfish

·
Registered
680 Posts
soapfish.this is farm country here in slower lower delaware. a cob mullet is about 8-12 inches. the size of a corn cob. when they get a little bigger, they are called fatback. please don't ask where these names came from. i can't answer that one. beachbums. i don't know if my way of throwing a net is the proper or wrong way. it opens and i catch all the mullet i can use and my friends. i do not catch them for resale , i catch what i need and call it a day.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
hey billr that cool, I dont eather. I could open a net gr8 to by using my teeth, the draw back is it can be hard on teeth. sence I have switched to the way on the vidio, a couple of things happened, I stayed dryer and can throw a bigger net. OOOOOh almost forgot no more sore teeth:D
BTW I would never knock another persons way of doing anything, but personally I always look for a new and iimproved way of doing something. Sorry if i steped on your toes. was not ment to be, just my own opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have tried many ways to throw a cast net and what some of you are saying are good ways to throw one but, I have found a way that I learned about 2 years ago on a pier. I throw with a 6' net for mullet, blues, and any other king mack bait.

1. Coil the rope in large coils (especially if you have a large net--its easier for you to hold)

2. Take net a hold by the horn of the net and hold with your left hand

3. Find a spot (different of different nets) that is anywhere from neck to pocket height and hold with right hand

4. Now, take the net in your left hand and grab the net in your right hand and transfer all into left hand, now you should have the net in your left hand only

5. With right hand, take the bottom of the net where the lead is, and pull the net to your left hand. Repeat 3-4 more times

6. Bring back net to your left side, and heave the net in desired direction.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Fatback in lower slower Delaware??
Horse Mullet in ole NC??
Fatback are menhaden or bunker in NC.
Seamullet: roundhead,whiting,kingfish
Cobia: ling,lemonfish,coalfish
I know a guy in Fla that throws castnets with a metal clip instead of his "now chipped up teeth".. I throw it with my teeth,got many friends that use other techniques(such as Billr's) and we all do fine in the final analogy.. I agree BB use what works for you and if not experiment with something new.. Different strokes.. ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hey, down in GA Fatback is the stuff we put in a mess of greens. My nickname comes from the pig....not a fish.:p

·
Registered
680 Posts
hey bb. no offense. i have been watching the storm, as a lot of the p&s people are in bad spots. hope all are ok ands will rejoin as soon as power is back. my only comments on some people holding lead in their teeth is,a fellow here in de. got some kind of poisoning from that a few years ago, and almost died. you don't know what may be out there. it took him almost 4 years for a full recovery.:cool: :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts