Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of info here and other forums that have been helpful in choosing a cast net. It's the articles that make things more complicated sometimes.

I have a four-foot net from Walmart that has served me well. It's my second one. I don't mind the smaller size for the tighter areas that I throws in often (between docks at a boat ramp for example).

I'd like a bigger one - maybe 6-8 feet - for shrimping mainly or open water.
The water is generally shallow where I fish (1-8 feet).

Not sure that a taped net is necessary.

I've read that:
  • Six-panel nets are better.
  • More braille lines are better due to smaller distance between weights (gathering points)
I was supposed that the Black Pearl nets didn't have about neoprene waist strap, by the way.

Are most larger nets going to be six-paneled nets?
I'm looking for an affordable, 6- to 8- for net, quality, but still around $100 or less. Could go higher if needed. Could go larger if it be a blessing or make me cooler than the zero people around where I fish. 3/8 mesh. 1.5 lbs weight per foot.

Comments or recommendations?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought a joy fish net from Lee Fisher nets this year. It's soft and sinks fast. Nice net for around $100. The big expensive nets are more for throwing out of a boat in deep water with the exception being the surf mullet guys. I have found that if you are a lowly land based average Joe Fisher such as myself a 5ft net gets the job done. You can throw a 5fter far and usually it will open even if it's windy. I'm not picky but I don't like the plastic coated weights they get tangled way more often

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Why not go for it and get a 8 foot pro net for wading. Once you learn to throw the bigger nets, then get a 10' pro net for throwing in deeper water for bigger baits. There are all kinds of you-tubes to learn from, some have Hotties in bikinis pancaking out there with a 10' net.

It took me a while, but after I went to a 10' net, I was able to get into larger baits for Drum fishing. Nothing like having a group of cob mullet close and then drop your net right on top of them and by the time the lightweight net sinks, the mullet swim out from under a 4 foot umbrella you startled them with.

If you are only interested in finger mullet and baby fatback and throw in 3 feet or less water, then you do not need to spend $150-$200+ for a pro net.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
The only time we use taped nets around here is when deep hole shrimping. This is done with sonar and no bait in 30-50'. If you're taking about shrimping over bait we typically use bigger nets but it's not as deep. If you're just blind throwing and catching a few per throw for bait or dinner a regular net will be fine.

A rope wrist strap will do just fine. No need for neoprene and velcro.

Like Garbo said big mullet and menhaden will just swim out from under small or cheap slow sinking nets.

I bought a Barracuda net last year but it seems they went AWOL. A bit sad because it's been a nice net. Some people are saying they paid and never got their nets. No items are listed on their site now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! There's some great advice in a few quick posts.
I appreciate also the explanation of "deep hole shrimping with a taped net"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts