Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thrown a cast net ever since I was in grade school. I was set in my ways. No matter what video anyone showed me, I would smile, knowing my way was effective for me. That is until last season when I ran across this way. No more twisting, screwing up my shoulder trying to get the net to spin. Using this method, I can gather the net up in my hand short enough to throw while sitting down, or standing with my elbows tucked in and never leaving my side. That is not a testimony on my being good at it by any means. It is just that easy to throw like this. Since you are not trying to spin the net, it is much easier on your body. You are basically throwing it away from your body with the rear hand, that is it. First time I showed a buddy how to throw like this, he got it to spread first try and was amazed at how much easier it was. It may not be easier for everyone, but it is enough of an improvement for me, I wanted to share. Any smaller net, 10' or under, this will work. Since you are throwing with one arm, anything larger may be too much. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen and thrown them. My father used to have one. I don't know if he is still using it or not. To me, it worked, but seemed cumbersome.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have a very inexpensive net I have used for the past couple of years and though I wanted a new net, because I couldn't throw worth beans I was hesitant. Saw this video and went out and threw my p.o.s. net and eureka! It worked like a charm. Not I can get a decent net and know I can throw it respectably. For that reason, I will nominate this video for the bible. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
787 Posts
gonna try that out looks out looks good to me, ive always used the old net in the teeth method and always been paranoid of pulling a tooth out. thanks for posting

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just about everything that is related to fishing has came easily to me, not braging but I've gotten to be purty good at whatever has interested my little pee pod. Fly fishing, surf fishing, ice fishing, bait, lures, reading a lake map, a stream, the surf, crappies, trout, muskies, drum, pompano and everything else has sort of fallen into place................untill I got the bright idea a couple years ago of buying a cast net.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent watching vids, reading instructions or standing on the bow of the boat in the yard making a spectacal of myself...................and the result has been total failure. I hate to admit this, but I have just accepted the fact that I am a bait buyer, a local economy stimulater if you will..............:D and it's better if I just stay that way.................

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just about everything that is related to fishing has came easily to me, not braging but I've gotten to be purty good at whatever has interested my little pee pod. Fly fishing, surf fishing, ice fishing, bait, lures, reading a lake map, a stream, the surf, crappies, trout, muskies, drum, pompano and everything else has sort of fallen into place................untill I got the bright idea a couple years ago of buying a cast net.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent watching vids, reading instructions or standing on the bow of the boat in the yard making a spectacal of myself...................and the result has been total failure. I hate to admit this, but I have just accepted the fact that I am a bait buyer, a local economy stimulater if you will..............:D and it's better if I just stay that way.................
I know the feeling. I saw another video that showed a very similar load to this video and then it was like finding my personal "you can throw a net" switch was turned on.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Same as many above...
Have a net that i quit trying to throw 15 years ago and just could never bring myself to throw it away.
Finally sat down last year and forced myself to look at about 100 videos before I found this one.
Went out in the back yard with the laptop and the net, and threw the damn thing perfectly the first time.
This guy deserves a medal!
TjB

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I tried this method for a couple of weeks in October catching mullet in the surf. Its great because you can get set up and wait for the bait to come by without a wet net hanging on your shoulder or a sandy lead line in your mouth. Works great - even for me.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I want it in the Bible if only just so that I know that I can go somewhere familiar and find it easily without having to troll through a thousand videos again.
(that being said, I just pulled it up again and bookmarked it. DOH!
But it still deserves to be in the Bible.

·
Registered
771 Posts
hope to be giving it a try this weekend and next week.Be nice to get bait without getting wet in mild to cold temps.Will post results, hopefully with fish pic.If not , it will be nice to be in 60 degree weather with no snow.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good luck and enjoy yourself, let us know what you think of the latest beach project there and I hope you find some fish.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts