Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my recent visit to Florida I used a cast net to catch mullet.I could get a good through sometimes and see fish under the net as it sank but dont get much when I pull it in. Is there a special way of getting the net to close better ? should I wait till it hits bottom or pull as it sinks ? thanks for your help. iowabohunk :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
'lo, the problem probably is that your net sank too slowly. the solution is simply to add more weight. just cut some sheet lead into strips (i use peices of duck decoy weights) wrap them around the weight line on your net, spaced between the existing weights, and smash them with a hammer so that they can't come off. this solved it for me. hope this helps

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
That too, and it is easier to cast net in deeper water at night. Then the fish don't see the net coming as well and your catch ratio is usually better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.I will give this a try next time. I think the cast net is fun to throw and sometimes I go out just to see what I can get.Dont get much pratice because I leave it at mothers place in Fl. Thanks again iowabohunk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.