Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen in Bass Pro's catalog a bunch of stuff on cast nets and had a couple of questions.

First, having never thrown one, other than the obvious, coverage, does the size of the net make much difference?

Second, since I want to be able to catch finger mullet and smaller things, would 3/8" be better or throw better than 1/2".

Lastly, I see in the catalog there are mono nets and nylon nets. Is one preferred over the other and what advantages does one have over the other? :confused:

Hang in there, it's getting warmer!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
size

for starters I would just get a 5' net ... much easier to throw .... I'd just get a cheap 5' 3/8 and learn on it then later on if you want to try a bigger one you can step up ... but over 5' it's a whole different thing to throw .... and yes the bigger the net the more bait you will catch ... they are fast and can see the net coming and outrun a smaller net

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
the smaller net holes = slower descend.
but can catch more

big holes sink fast.

for bunker out here. my gang of friends i fish on boat use 1"~ and heavy sinkers.

that net goes down faster then that can of beer in your cupholder.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
i'd stay away from the white nylon ones - go with the mono

if net is too stiff, soak it in a bucket of water with a little fabric softener & then let it dry in the shade -- softens it up nicely & easier to manage

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cast Nets

Yep, 3/8ths is the way to go. Bigger meshes will sink faster but then you have to deal with the mullet getting "gilled" in the net. That happens often enough with 3/8ths without going to a half inch mesh.

The smaller the net is, the easier it is to throw and open. Actually. thowing the net isn't a problem, throwing the net so that it opens flat on the water is where the difficulty comes in.:D

I'd get a cheap 4 footer to start with. If you learn to throw the 4 you'll be able to throw anything up to a 6. Over six and it's a different technique. I'd go cheap especially if you're going to be tossing the net around rock jettys or walls or in creeks or canals that have brush and junk in them. Barnacles, rocks and such will tear a net up real fast so there's no sense in spending big bucks on a net. Also in favor of the 4 footer is that sometimes you have to throw for distance. Sometimes the mullet are running off the shore a bit and it's easier to throw a 4 footer out there 20 or 30 feet than it is a 5 or 6 footer.

And one more thing....find someone who can throw a net to show you how it's done. I guess I'm a slow learner cause it took me nearly two years to get it down. Then I SHOWED my son how to do it and he picked it up in 5 minutes!
There are some good videos around but nothing beats one on one instruction.

Good luck.....you'll probably find out like I did that catching mullet with a cast net is nearly as much as fishing! With that in mind, remember to take only as much bait as you can use. It's easy to get carried away with the catching so that you end up with way more bait than you need. Save some for seed and for the other guy!

·
Registered
983 Posts
yea, i started with a 6' and never had a problem, but everyone is different.........i noticed you made a comment about that you had never thrown a castnet before, and before you go and see the (literally) dozens of ways to throw a cast net, here is the way i do it and is by far the easiest way i have found, no its not the only way and may not be the best way for you, but it works great for me so i thought id share. (oh and in the video im using a 6' but this works well up to 8' also)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGFoF3RroaQ I love catchin bait this way, its allot cheaper than buyin it, and its entertaining too, ill go out and throw the net just to pass the time while im waitin for a strike.............anyway, just wanted to share, Tight Lines and God Bless :fishing:

·
Registered
983 Posts
if i was able to come on up there or if i lived closer i would show you in person, but since i cant this is the next best thing i can do................and yea, always be moderate with your bait, only keep what your gonna use, if you have a live well or an aerated bucket then you can keep your bait alive and let go what you cant use, if not and you accidently keep allitle more that you end up needing then find someone else and pass the bait along, iv never met a fisherman who would pass down free fresh bait.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dang catfish, I've been throwing a net for years, and no one showed me the trick of grabbing the net three times before throwing. I've only been grabbing once. No wonder I suck so bad!

Jeep, that just goes to show you that seeing someone else do it goes a long way towards learning the right technique. I also would go with a smaller net like 4 ft maybe 5 depending how tall you are especially if you plan on using it from the surf. I usually have to wade out a little bit to reach the bait and it's a little cumbersome to cast a 6 ft net being I'm only 5'7" and standing in water up to my waist! Learn small then move up. I used to have a smaller net and probably caught more bait than with the one I have now just because it was easier to throw.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I throw a 6 ft 3/8" mesh net thats about all you need to catch finger mulle and bunker of any size especially the peanut size.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i'd stay away from the white nylon ones - go with the mono

if net is too stiff, soak it in a bucket of water with a little fabric softener & then let it dry in the shade -- softens it up nicely & easier to manage
Why mono? Is nylon just too "cheap" and doesn't last?

Should one go with scented or unscented fabric softener? :D:D

·
3,775 Posts
Nets

I throw a 7 foot net but its work. I used to throw eight but it was huting my shoulders.

Everyone steered you right on the sizes. When throwing at finger mullet, youll want to throw it low, hard and fast.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
when you get into nets 7ft or bigger, it all come down to technique. its amazing how much different an 8ft net throws compared to a 5-6 footer. technique has to be adjusted. the results are rewarding thou:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with all the information that everyone has posted on throwing cast nets.. in my opinion the smaller nets are great for when your waste deep in water and if your trying for mud minnows in the shallows. The larger nets for me work well if casting from a boat or bridge of some sort. The elevation gives it more time to spread out. Once you master the big net you will only need one throw to catch all your bait for the day.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I throw a 7 foot net but its work. I used to throw eight but it was huting my shoulders.
Yep, me too. I got an 8 footer just because I wanted to learn how to throw it but I soon found out that my shoulders wouldn't take the strain.

·
Registered
277 Posts
use a mono net as it will in the long run be much easier. a nylon net will absorb water, gets heavy, and it is then dillicult to cast.

to catfish713, i'll be in so. padre on 4-3-08. will be there about 6 days the go to crystal beachfor a week. i love it down there and padre island is a great place to fish. hopefully the specs will be there.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yeah I have to nets a 6 foot and a 10 foot. I only use the 6 foot net when I have to wade up to my chest to through. but the 10 foot net is great if you are elevated a little or dont have to wade out to far, it is also the only way to go if you are after deep bait it is the only way I can get shad when they are deep.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I throw a 8' and son a 5' x 1/2" for shrimp. We use 4-5' x 3/8" for bait. For just bait get a cheep mono 5-6' x 3/8" at wallyworld or local bait shop. Easy to throw in boat, bank, or wading on shallow water. Instructions that come in the box with it will work. Different and harder on 7'and up nets.

If you need bigger baits in deep water you have to change up to be effective. Fish too fast. Bigger nets, heaver weights, larger mesh size. They will work you out throwing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What nobody seemed to mention is the wt. per foot. You can get 1lb. per ft ,or 1.5lb. per ft. The differance is major. If you are just going to be working the shallows, up to say 3to 4 ft. you can go with the 1lb. and it will sink fast enough.

The 3/8 is a good mesh size for finger mullet. Also the cheaper the net the harder it is to get it to open. For a decent cheap net go with the Betts brand.
The 4ft. diameter is too small, you will be chasing bait all day unless it is really plentiful. I like the 6. It is lite enough at 1lb. for my 12 yr. old grandson to throw.

Check the container for the wt. per foot.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
What nobody seemed to mention is the wt. per foot. You can get 1lb. per ft ,or 1.5lb. per ft. The differance is major. If you are just going to be working the shallows, up to say 3to 4 ft. you can go with the 1lb. and it will sink fast enough.

The 3/8 is a good mesh size for finger mullet. Also the cheaper the net the harder it is to get it to open. For a decent cheap net go with the Betts brand.
The 4ft. diameter is too small, you will be chasing bait all day unless it is really plentiful. I like the 6. It is lite enough at 1lb. for my 12 yr. old grandson to throw.

Check the container for the wt. per foot.

An important thing to remember here is that it should be the weight of lead per foot of net and not the total weight of the net per foot of net. Some cheap companies use less lead and just count the weight of the whole net. So you end up with about 3/4 pound of lead per foot which is to light except for realy shallow stuff. So that is another good reason to get a decent net to start with. In the end paying a good price for a good net will still be cheaper than buying bait so it is worth getting a good one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to add--the mono are much easier to Patch. I go through 2-3 a year on average. You can patch the mono w/mono. I also try and retrieve all the lead if it's hung beyond repair--one 6ft net has enough to melt down for several weights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts