Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this board is saltwater but im so desperate to catch a fish right now that i tried freshwater. Ended up with the skunk getting me again but i did see about 10 carps swimming along. Tried casting spinnerbaits and poppers at them for a few minutes but they only got spooked. Anyone know how to catch them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've tried corn(Freeline on a treble hook)which is pretty self-explanatory.Carp are mainly a weary, gentle giant that put up a h*ll of a fight on lite tackle when hooked, Ive heard of that recipe they use to make doballs, but other than that Im generally not an avid Carp Angler,it's just something different I like to try every now and then!

P.S. I've also heard of people using polarized classes to site cast to them, up north they call them the "freshwater bonefish"

·
Registered
830 Posts
Try chumming them with corn. When they start feeding throw a small corn baited hook in the middle of the frenzy. Really fun on a flyrod.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is a dough bait that is hard to find. They are highly prized in Europe, so whatever information you find will be from the brits. WW got it w/the corn. I've also heard beans or even non-citrus fruit. I heard dried beans that have been cooked plain are better than canned. Worms work well also. They nibble, so you need a limber tipped rod with a lot of backbone. Light ugly sticks are perfect. If you see one and don't have any bait they might go for casually placed snippet of rubber worm, but you have to watch it to place the hook, because it wont hold onto it. You probably have some huge ones at your spot. They are hard fighters. In Europe, they will 'seed' with bait every few days so the carp will stop by in their rounds. They will also scatter bait around the hook so the carp will be attracted. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
fishinkid, try microspins for the smaller carp, up to 10lbs and then small bass poles for the big boys. I like using nightcrawlers for them and doughballs work well. For some reason, they don't like wheat bread, white is preferred. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have caught carp for fun since I was a little kid. In rivers and in lakes.

The best bait I have ever used is a mixture of oatmeal and corn meal. Just put them in a big ziplock bag dry. Take a hand full at the waters edge and soak you hand in the water...squeeze several times and hold it under doing so for a few minutes until it gets doughy. Then press the ball onto your hook and squeeze it to form a nice small round ball. If you dont get it TOO wet, the ball will hold well on your hook and will flake apart while sitting on the bottom. Corn works (Canned or frozen).
Just a suggestion, try grinding up some blood worms in your mix of oatmeal and cornmeal. Have fun

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I grew up catching carp on the dirty elizabeth river, tried many baits, but good ole white bread dough ball always worked the best.. doesnt hurt to thro a piece or two of bread out on the surface to attract them in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think im gonna try again on sunday. Im gonna bring like a whole bag of white bread and use that. Hopefully that will get me my first fish of 03. Kinda sad its taken me into april to get it though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had this bookmarked: carp fishing network-www.carp.net/home2.htm
or do a search on carp network.
I would tell you of my own sad escapades this year, but it would take too long :eek: .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fishnkid,

I know how ya feel.

I've been lucky, though and me and my boy caught a bunch of Croakers a few weekends ago at Avalon Pier in the OBX.

But, speakin of Carp, just so happens that my boy hooked into a carp in our canal in Carolina on Friday with his Zebco. I had thrown some canned corn in the water and baited him up. Snapped his line real quick even though it was 20 pound test. I finally set him up with a big conventional rig with 40# test. Seemed like a little much but hey, my boy had fun and landed some whoppers.

I did rig my boy up with a 5/0 circle hook with mashed down barb. That did the trick........I hate releasing any fish even a carp or skate when I know that the gear I used will cause him to suffer needlessly. So with that in mind, I guess using 40# test isn't a bad thing. (I won't eat Carp so we're talking strictly catch and release fishing here, dude.)

Oh, the bait (and chum) was Libby's Whole Sweet Kernel Corn for 2 cans for a dolla
at Family Dollar in Grandy, NC.

Lots a luck there Fishnkid. Hope ya catch some soon. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fishnkid you an your carp are the hottest topic on this board right now, so when you land one yer gonna hafta report back. I think i'd rather hook into a 20 pound carp than a croaker on most days.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yea a carp is not the greatest start to 03, but im not doing much better with a couple o catfish I got a month or so ago

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Carp fishing now? Maybe you guys should take a trip up here. Stripers, and now blues, are running like crazy! Trout soon to follow! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
up here in the mountains carp are the only thing i get a kick out of catching. i've caught several citations my biggest being 36 in. long. i make my own dough balls and they work great. take mix flour milk corn, and little pancake syrup and you'll tear em up. after u catch a few on it they get weary and won't bite it, then u just put some food coloring in it, by changing the color they bite again. that goes for corn also, put food coloring it with it and it will fool them. up here they seem to prefer green, or red. any way hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
10 is probably ok if you drag is good, i have caught alot in the 10-17lb range

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried throwing corn out today and they would not touch it even though I could see them. eventualy they got fed up of me throwing corn at them and quickly swam away. I think the problen is that where they were there are people feeding ducks so they have plenty of bread to eat and were already full. also it looked like they were spawning. does anyone have any sugestions for catching them they are huge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. Are there Carp in the Chesapeake tidal creeks, lower bay, eastern shore? Earlier this spring I told a neighbor I thought I was seeing carp feeding at the surface of the creek.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am going to leave it up to you guys to say how you think it got there, but as I walked from my house to Lynnhaven Pier on the beach today I came accross a LARGE dead carp on the beach. It was about 200 yards from the pier on the left side (inlet side).

It was a big one - do carp go in salt water?

If anyone has any ideas holla back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts