Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were fishing a basin last weekend and the thing was crawling with what we were told were probably carp. We through everything and anything at them, right on top of them too (we could see them). And NOTHING! Someone told us we should have used dough balls with molasses? Sounds weird and non effective to me. Doesn't the smooshed bread get mooshy? What could we have used or were 50 carp just not hungry at dusk?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know a guy who love to catch them not to eat but for sport. He would say give that bait you mentioned try. Carp like crayfish, minnows and plants. He would also say if you are going to fish in the area again and would happen to pass the place your going to fish often. Chum them up for a few days with the bait you plan to use. He would use field corn and everyday for a few days in a row he would throw out a handful of the stuff. Then fish the place with much success. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Carp - what a tough fighing fish! I used to fish for them in NY. Lots of 50 pounders too. I used cornmeal cooked with a little honey and molasses. Make sure that the mixture is not mushy and save the mixture in tinfoil after it cools off. Use small treble hooks with baitholder springs in size 6 or 4 and an egg sinker on a sliding rig.

As MM said, you can chum an area for a couple of days and then come back and catch them on the chum bait. We used to catch them on doughballs in a lake. The carp fed on sliced bread brought there from people feeding the ducks.

My best was a 32 pounder on 4 lb test line. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Canned corn (Yellow) works well also the dough balls. If you happen to catch one, you cook it on a oak plank for two hours when done you through the carp away and serve the plank. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Ditto Oldsalt's suggestion on using canned yellow corn. I have a lake (Lake Roland) about a mile from the house and when I want a good pull on the line I'll stop by my favorite spot for 2 or 3 days prior to fishing and throw a can full of yellow corn in the water. On the fourth evening I'll take my lantern and fish for them. Some evenings I'll catch up to a dozen carp some to 25 lbs. I use a #6 or #8 hook with just enough split shot to cast out about 60'. Carp are very sensitive so use as little weigth as possible. I have a friend from England who visits every August just to fish for them. I don't keep them but the fight is great.

Catman. :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
But pickeled carp is good tasting,don't knock it if you haven't tryed it,it tastes like pickeled herring you get from the store.One of my uncles was a chief and that's how he used the carp. :D :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never heard of pickled fish. But I use to love to catch carp. I would make my dough with cornmeal, molassa, and cotton balls. The cotton helps keep the dough on the hook. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just buy instant oatmeal. Take a small handfull squeezing your fist and put in water. Continue to work oatmeleal until it gets to the right consistancy and hide hook in middle of ball.

Works great in the Potomac!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thoroughbred, that is where we fish, the Potomac, around Williamsport in the Cushwa Basin. I haven't had much luck in the Potomac since the water is fast and flooded.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Domestic_Goddess,

I have used the oatmeal in the Shenandoah as well and I understand the water problem. I live near Charles Town, WV and both rivers have been high and muddy due to the rains. Thinking of building an ark :) Actually it could be worse, until 3 years ago we lived on the Shenandoah and we would have been flooded in over 7 days this spring if we were still there.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
a nice size hook and a gob o worms nightcrawlers 1to2 ounce weight on th bottom leave th hook up off th botoom 1 to 2 ft :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
a nice size hook and a gob o worms nightcrawlers 1to2 ounce weight on th bottom leave th hook up off th botoom 1 to 2 ft :cool: :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts