Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of us stayed at Surfside Inn, fished in the surf most of Friday & all day Saturday with shrimp & cut mullet. There was a little trough that had all the fish, we caught blues, whiting, small pompano, blowfish, skates & undersize flounder all weekend. I rotated a shark rig, fishheads & fillets casted far, all weekend with zero runs.

However, the big story were the aggravating undersize black drum. We caught these dang things, 6-10" long, the whole time, they wouldn't leave a bait alone. I think we would have had a chance at other stuff if it weren't for the black drum, the surf was lousy with them.

Also, I saw other parties were keeping some, I don't think everyone is hip to the minimum size that's in effect as of 2014, despite posters on all the piers & shops.

Shadow Fish Flag

Shadow Soil

·
Registered
769 Posts
glad you had a good trip! About a week ago fishing FF almost every cast a 7 - 12" black drum. Rule is terrible for us. Several years ago NCDMF adopted a resolution to adopt the Federal fisheries rules And this black drum thing is because of that. eat fish - glenn

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
NC finally regulates black drum and, boom, small ones everywhere. Same thing with grey trout a few years ago. I think it's awesome. It's a step in the right direction if nothing else. The conservation measures are obviously working, and yet I hear fishermen complain about too many of whatever fish so often...go figure :confused: Would you rather be able to fill a cooler of juveniles and have the adults nearly nonexistent....or to catch and release with realistic expecations of better fishing in the near future? Doesn't seem like we can have it both ways anymore. Give it 10-20 years and we just might be reaping the benefits of a thriving adult black drum fishery once again, much like we are currently seeing with red drum and the slot limits implemented in the 90's. Those little pup black drum might not be your target species, but please carefully release them to finally get a chance to grow up and spawn. There are more people than ever on the water harvesting fish these days....so we can't expect to be able to kill as many as we once did if we want healthy resources moving forward, even if it seems like there are "too many" relative to what we have once known.

·
Registered
255 Posts
NC finally regulates black drum and, boom, small ones everywhere. Same thing with grey trout a few years ago. I think it's awesome. It's a step in the right direction if nothing else. The conservation measures are obviously working, and yet I hear fishermen complain about too many of whatever fish so often...go figure :confused: Would you rather be able to fill a cooler of juveniles and have the adults nearly nonexistent....or to catch and release with realistic expecations of better fishing in the near future? Doesn't seem like we can have it both ways anymore. Give it 10-20 years and we just might be reaping the benefits of a thriving adult black drum fishery once again, much like we are currently seeing with red drum and the slot limits implemented in the 90's. Those little pup black drum might not be your target species, but please carefully release them to finally get a chance to grow up and spawn. There are more people than ever on the water harvesting fish these days....so we can't expect to be able to kill as many as we once did if we want healthy resources moving forward, even if it seems like there are "too many" relative to what we have once known.
I agree with you, now if NC would stop the flounder gigging it might help them get more plentiful.

·
Registered
869 Posts
BD needs to be closed altogether. Another prime example of a fishery coming back is stripers on the cape fear. Would like to see them fully reach their spawning ground upstream one day also. The riverfront hotels would be sold out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I believe you're right, sorry for complaining. And in fact we did have much more fun than the weekends where we didn't catch a single fish of any sort, or just a few fish at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Right on right on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We had undersized black drum up here in VA surf, as well, all throughout September and October. Pretty much every cast using fishbites brought up these suckers.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I agree with you, now if NC would stop the flounder gigging it might help them get more plentiful.
Flounder gigging isn't the problem...its the net dragging for shrimp in the inland waterway by joe-blow. Lots of baby flounder are killed as by-catch. That's a serious problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Flounder gigging isn't the problem...its the net dragging for shrimp in the inland waterway by joe-blow. Lots of baby flounder are killed as by-catch. That's a serious problem.
I know the netting hurts a lot of the fishing, like flounder, spots, and mullets.... I'm not a fan of net dragging at all. I'm sure there's a lot gigged under sized and more than just there limit at night, also not legal in some states.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts