Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! All,

My first report in over a year. The birth of my baby girl stopped all fishing for a bit. Now that she is over 1yr old and on a routine, I can fish a little more.

Went down to Carolina Beach this past friday. Didn't realize the hurricane was just outside of NC until I turned on the tv in my motel room. Surf was too rough, so went to the pier to check things out. Not to much going on, so went and tried to catch some crabs at the state park. got three nice ones and a few small ones in about 3 hrs. Went back to the motel to get ready for some night fishing (i.e. cold and windy conditions). Went back to the pier and caught the tail end of a spot run. Managed about 9 nice sized ones before they stopped. Left after an hour of nothing happening but getting hammered by the wind. Found out later that they started running again sometime that evening/morning.

Got up on Saturday and checked out the surf, but still a little rough, so back to the pier I went. Caught some spots early on, but nothing to write home about. Fishing died down for a bit. Did manage to catch some pompano, whiting, perch and bluefish while waiting on the spots to start back up. Saw some small black drum, bluefish, pompano and whiting come over the rail. Someone did hook a monster of a black drum. I could see it down in the water. As I was trying to get my net out, the hooked pulled out. Fishing was sporadic through the afternoon, but as soon as it got dark the spots started running. They ran from about ~6:00pm to ?. They were still running when I left the pier around 2:30am. My cooler was full of fish and I couldn't fit anymore in. Later my wife told me that I should have given away the bluefish so I could made more room for more spots!:eek::p:D

I caught most of my spots on BWFB +/- real bloodworm and the rest of my fish on shrimp tipped w/ BWFB.

Got up Sunday and talked w/ a gentleman who had caught 5 nice whiting from the surf. But even he said the action was slow. Did pass someone else that caught one bluefish. Tried to get more crabs at the state park, but only small ones to show for my efforts. Headed home around 2:00pm

I can't believe how crazy people get once spot fishing gets going. We were elbow to elbow and still people tried to get into a spot. I think I spent like 30% of my time untangling rigs. If I wasn't fishing for my sick father-in-law, I would have left the pier and just fished off the surf. Makes me glad to be a surf fisherman. But with the wind and current as they were, I had to brave the pier conditions. I guess nothing like commando pier fishing to make me appreciate the surf that much more. I am glad to only have to do this once a year!

Alrighty...good luck to everyone fishing out there!

Outdoorsoccer15

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You'd think spot were the greatest fish on earth the way they go "elboe to elboe" to get 'em ... well, they are tasty!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey! DD,

Thanks! It has been quiet an eye-opener to see her grow so much in just 14 months. I can't wait to take her fishing! Although I would have taken her sooner, but the BOSS is very protective of her and wouldn't let her go surf fishing w/ me!:D:D

·
Registered
209 Posts
My youngest just turned one not too long ago, and I know what you mean. Her two older sisters love going to the beach, and actually enjoy fishing when I can get them away from building sand castles for a second! lol

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Great report and even better news with your baby girl! Get her out there kicking the ball around with ya when ya can and then, teach her to fish!! ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FB,

Surprisingly she did started kicking the soccerball around 10months old! I bought her fishing pole and soccerball a month before she was born and have been dying to teach her to play soccer and fish...

Conrad,

How old were your girls when you first started taking them fishing?

Good luck fishing!

ODS15

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I started my daughter fishing between 2 and 3 years of age. One of the most precious memories I have is of her standing on the bank of a pond holding onto her Snoopy fishing rod n reel, it was doubled over and she was reeling like crazy and slowly being pulled to the water but she refused to let go of that rod! Turned out to be a nice sized catfish :) She's a teenager now and has been hooked ever since! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I started my girls around 2. If they showed interest, which they did, they'd acquire their first rod at 4, which they both have now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts