Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Started fishing here in 1966 - not too crowded back then and everyone fished the point differently then because they used lighter sinkers and drifted over the points shoals - when your bait washed across the shoals you just cranked in and walked to the other side and threw out again - that way everyone had time in the zone -today everyone wants to anchor up in the zone and bitches about the problems - the old way is more equitable for all

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Started fishing here in 1966 - not too crowded back then and everyone fished the point differently then because they used lighter sinkers and drifted over the points shoals - when your bait washed across the shoals you just cranked in and walked to the other side and threw out again - that way everyone had time in the zone -today everyone wants to anchor up in the zone and bitches about the problems - the old way is more equitable for all
that sounds like a much better way to fish it. I was out there in august when the Spanish were running and you'd have noobs to fishing in general getting right out there and throwing fire-ball rigs out making a mess

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
One other point. If you have the line capacity, and hook up when you are on the south side, let the fish run out some and then, its easier to cross over and beach her on the north side. Most of the time, the fish will run with the current and you do not have as many lines to deal with.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Interesting. Last year there were some locals (young guys) fishing with lighter weights and tuna belly. They caught a lot more drum than every one else. I asked someone in the know and he said that they used the lighter weights to get out farther and they wanted more movement of the bait across the bar. The presentation of moving bait was meant to be better. I think they were also using something different from a fish finder rig. (Perhaps a cannon ball rig?) I am sure the tuna belly did not hurt.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The battle over how to fish the point goes on,,,,

The reason the Point works is everyone works together, they use about the same rods, reels, weights and line weight.

Now you may choose to drive against the flow of traffic and use braid or sputnik sinkers or any other out of the normal use for the point and not make any friends and more than likely screw up everyones fishing including your own.

I am not telling anyone to be a sheep and just follow the pact but do you really want to fight against the orderly flow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
geeezzzeeee looweeezzzzeeeee !!! Last time I was there was back in 1977-78 era. NEVER saw anything like that !!
I am very non-combatitive and non-competitive by nature. There is no way I would even attempt to be near
a melee like that !!! Much less, IN IT !!
LOL I am afraid my PTSD would kick in and I would run around with a 18v cordless skillsaw and cut up some rods !!!
I honestly think fishing like this really brings out the "gentlemans" qualities in a lot of people. Then again, the WORSE side too.
But honestly, I would LOVE to just sit in my Jeep and watch the action from the sidelines. I am sure that if anyone wanted to
fish this way and be successful, being a spectator a few times could teach them a LOT about the OBX Etiquette.

GREAT JOB Tommy !!! LOL - Look WAY down the beach and you will see a lone fisherman staying out of trouble - LOL - that would be MEEEEEE

·
Registered
626 Posts
......Look WAY down the beach and you will see a lone fisherman staying out of trouble - LOL - that would be MEEEEEE
....and me right next to you...been fishing out there off and on for decades now, at times when a half dozen or more anglers was a crowd in any blitz, anywhere up and down the island. Never really needed to fish the point...all the fish you ever wanted could be had elsewhere, especially at the groins.
However, we were on the north beach during a drum blitz like in those pics. Can't recall the year. I grabbed a "smallish" rod and ran over to the south side where a school had moved in close to shore. All you needed was to flip a lure underhand and it was fish on. Mostly 36" class drum in that particular pod. Lately though (before the BS closures and such) we would enjoy sitting back and watching the fun, just for the atmosphere of it all....

·
Registered
515 Posts
I sure miss the point an the ol'crowd.Maybe I'll head back if they ever open the beach during drum season.

Tell Jack, Don said Hi.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jack and I used to drag race out at Richmond Dragway back in the early 2000's.....my 4x4 Jeep versus his Volvo Wagon! What a sight. Always a tight race til I put the supercharger in and then it was "bye-bye" Jack! I even waved to him the first run I made with the new setup! Enjoyed the fishing and drag racing too! We started out in the mid 13's which was pretty good considering what we were using.....I ended up in low 12's then gave it up. Lots of old name (Red Dog, Big Ed, Ray Brittain, Gary Smith (8nbait), and others that have passed or just don't see often anymore).

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Posted from Barefoot Johnny;

"GREAT JOB Tommy !!! LOL - Look WAY down the beach and you will see a lone fisherman staying out of trouble - LOL - that would be MEEEEEE"

MEEEEE TOOOOO!!!!!
On Both accounts!
Thanks for starting a great thread Tommy.
TjB

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the use of lights yet. Do not shine bright lights directly into the water. As flashlights get smaller and more powerful, this has been an increasing problem. Pointing your light up to see rod tips and line location - ok; pointing your light at the water - not ok. If you have to use a light to check/change a bait or untangle lines, turn your back to the water to shield the light. People often use red, green, blue or even black lights to increase visibility while not casting bright light into the water.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts