Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our group has fished Portsmouth Island for years. This year, we have a cabin on the Great Island for Nov 16-20. We are carrying some bait with us, but I just want to know if there is still mullet in the surf or sound. Has anyone had any luck over there this week?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Finger mullet were available on sound side with few spotted in the surf; was there about 10 days ago. Definitely bring your bait but thinking you'll have good luck with your cast net. I'll be there Friday,13th thru 19th to give it one more go. With cooler weather really hoping the big drum show up. Will be in a 28' Motorhome so stop by for a fishing report once you're down. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm kind of worried about the amount of fresh water that is getting dumped on the mainland right now. I wonder if it will effect the fishing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
As quiet as the beaches have been due to unusual warm weather and warm water, I'm hoping this frontal change in weather will drive the fish. I had 9-days on the beach a few weeks ago and only caught 2 fish. Got a great suntan but fishing was terrible. Wind, rain and some blowing winds just might be the ticket to catching some big drum. Leaving in the morning and should be on north end of island around 11pm at dead lowtide. NE winds Saturday 10-15 just might make it interesting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Was over there for 3 days and 2 nights this past weekend. Fishing was pretty bad. Water temps were still very warm. No waders required during the day. Some big drum were caught by the real hardcore guys willing to go through all the sharks and rigs for a big drum. One group caught 13 between about 4-5 of them but that was over several days. Sea Mullet were not around in any decent numbers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Was there on the northend from Friday,13th till Monday evening. Was quite slow but did get 2-pups and a 45" and 48" drum. Only one shark hit rod hard and peeled off line until it bite through the leader. Had some heavy NE and SE winds and that's when the big ones were caught. Saw another 40" caught next to me but nothing else noted. Good luck to those heading down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got on the island Monday 11/16. We fished in front of the cabins and caught a few small Whiting and a Puffer. Tuesday we moved to the West side of the point. The wind was from the West. We caught a bunch of nice Blue Fish, several Slot Reds, one over slot Red. a Black Tip and several Flounder. Hooked a big Sand Tiger that broke off at the edge of the shallow water. He was like fighting a telephone pole. Wednesday the winds picked up from the NNE. fishing was slow with a few Blues and Flounder. Thursday was nice with light winds. We picked up four slot Reds, Sting Rays and anothe big Sand Tiger. Fresh cut Mullet was the bait of choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts