Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got there 9:30 PM due to traffic jam. Had to get bait at Lynnhaven Pier since that was the only place open closets to CBBT. Man that place is very busy..... Fish bit immediately at Cape Charles, and after 3 hours or so had over 25 croakers, around 6 spots, couple of blues (lost a few due to not having a steel snell on the hook), lots of small shark (the largest was about 5 lbs.). I must have caught over 8. 1 small sting ray (tiny dude with a real skinny long tail).

The croakers were not the consistently large size I caught about 3 weeks ago nor were the bites as frequent. Last 4th of July week, the croakers on average were 2 lbs. This time it was more like 1 lbs, with may 3 or so over 2 lbs.

The following morning was more of the same. I hooked a lot of sharks. Lost a few blues (again no steel leader), 8 croakers (smaller than the night before) or so, 7 spots, pig fish, tiny sea bass. I just got through cleaning all the fish. I was very surprised to have so many blue bites. Some were quite large and it was nice to have them jump right in front of you. The largest was about 2.5 (estimate) or so. That blue bite (1-3 lb class) is unmistakable and one that was nice to see again. I didn't see a single sea trout, striper or flounder, which were my main targets. There were lots of crabs as well (the female with the orange sack).

The larger sharks and blues made it very entertaining. Very surprised to see so many sharks. Years ago, I use to catch and release some very large sharks there. I don't recall the larger sharks being all that fun to catch (just slightly better than catching a sting ray), but the smaller ones are sort of like blues. They flap all over the water and flap all over the place once you land them.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Great report-Thanxs CCC!

What type of rigs or lures where you using.
As I stated in my Chesapeake Beach report-All my keeper specs where caught on menhaden,on primarily weightless rigs.But if attached to maybe a fish finder rig......

Lemme know if you need some menhaden,I have enough in the freezer to share.

AL

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only bought bloodworms at Lynnhaven inlet (very tiny and I don't think it's a dozen; I bought 2 bags). The first fish I caught was a spot which was promptly cut up for bait. All spots and about half of croakers were caught on bloodworms. All other fish except for pigfish and tiny seabass were caught on spot. I did catch a crab which was used for bait without a single bite on it.

In the past, I've had good success with spot for sea trout, stripers and even flounders. I did not use minnows for flounders. I probably should have. I rarely use artificial baits for saltwater. I suspect that a lot of blues could have been caught with a jig. I saw many blues chasing minnows during the day. Come to think of it, that would have been a lot of fun. There were quite a few crabs during the night as well. Despite that, there were a lot of bites. Ideally, I like a 9:00 PM high tide, high tide was very late there (about 12:57 PM)

During the night, I fished the Cape Charles pier. The pier is free and short. I was the only one fishing there that night. The harbor side could be fished anytime at the pier, but the right side (non-harbor or sandy side) can only be fished during high tides. Even though the other side of the harbor is very shallow at the end of the pier, the place is loaded with fish during high tide.

During the morning, I ventured to the end of the jetty (very dangerous), but caught mostly shark with a few croaker and spots. At the end of the pier, both harbor side and sandy side are very deep.

When high tide rolled around the next day, I fished the harbor near the Marina. Cape Charles is very quiet, and the place is loaded with fish. The town is proposing to the state marine fishery to extend the pier for $300,000. I hope they approve. If they extend the pier over the jetty to deeper waters, it will be fantastic. The end of jetty is extremely deep generally requiring heavier sinkers. The place is loaded with fish. For the shore fisherman, the pier, beach and the harbor offers access. The beach is a bit too shallow, but still hold lots of fish (I saw one fly fisherman). To find out more information click on the link below and you can find out info. on the pier and harbor. I like the place because it is so quiet and I always had tremendous success there. In a 24 hour period, the bridge charge you 4$ for return trip.

http://capecharles.org/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts