Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you just slide sinkers on it without a snap swivel? I ask because one of the piers I usually fish has tons of rocks around and pyramid sinkers get hung all the time, and the bank sinkers I usually use there won't fit on the snap swivel.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've slid pyrmids on my line through the sinker eye, but that's only when I've gone to the water without any snap swivels. It works, but I only do that in a pinch. I've never really considered not using a snap swivel on purpose. I don't know if would damage your line any worse than using one.

However, not using a snap swivel does take more time when you want to change weights.

We have the same problem at LIP. Not rocks, but a huge snag with rigs, line and sinkers all over it. I've been told it's a huge cypress stump, but I don't know fer sure.

Anyway, what we all do when we retrieve our rigs is lift the rod tip straight up and crank like hell. It doesn't always work, but it does the trick most of the time.

But I guessing you already know that trick.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can you just slide sinkers on it without a snap swivel? I ask because one of the piers I usually fish has tons of rocks around and pyramid sinkers get hung all the time, and the bank sinkers I usually use there won't fit on the snap swivel.
You could try this:

1) Drill out the eye of the bank sinker, make it open enough to get a swivel on,

or

2) Twist on a piece of wire like insulated electrical wire or even single strand to make a loop for the swivel

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
And you are using this with the cannonball rig?? Imho,don't think it will make a difference,in fact would reduce the amount of hardware you loose.. Reason for having a swivel in the first place is to reduce twist and keep the rig from twisting itself around the weight while the bait and sinker is underwater with current.. That was when we had the sinker riding on the 50lb shock on a fishfinder rig,if it twisted the line underwater and you set the hook it would be an instant breakoff...

With a cannonball rig the bait is against the sinker,also the leader the sinker is riding on is 80lb to much bigger.. I can't see the sinker twisting this heavy leader in the current on a cannonball rig.. You would think a metal swivel or eye on pyramid would frap up the leader quicker than lead off a bank sinker would?? I would check the rig often to make sure it wasn't nicking the line though.. I have never slid a sinker on a rig without a swivel,although with a cannonball rig it may not be neccessary with a bank sinker.. jmo

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
use one of the quick links with a larger hole on the one end if you want quick change capabilities... or even a large, cheap snap swivel to hook your sinker up...

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Regardless whether you use a snap swivel or just slide the sinker on, place a bead between the sinker and the knot. Less chance of the sinker/swivel fouling/fraying the knot and getting "stuck" on the knot. If the sinker is riding on the leader itself, place a bead on either side.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've made plans to go catfishing tomorrow and I will run a cannonball rig with a 4 oz bank sinker for big blue cats and let y'all know how the rig holds up. I will also try a 6 oz pyramid and see if it's any different with the amount of line wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.