Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any experience saltwater cane pole fishing? I was thinking about using an inexpensive surf rod but it seems like it would be unwieldly. Plan to try it for stripers or puppy drum. Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I've caught many, many, many crappie on a cane pole growing up. They work just as good as anything else when stationary fishing from (freshwater) piers, but unless you mean something I've never seen, I don't see how it would work. Plus when you get a fish on more than a few pounds you gotta net him up.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Saltwater Pole Fishing

I see people fishing with a fiberglass or cane pole for sheepshead from the piers.

It is 'straight down' fishing. When you hang a fish, bring the pole in hand over hand until it's on the pier. C2

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is possible if you are looking for a novelty, but probably not recommended as an ongoing way of fishing. We (POL) had a Cane Pole tourney this summer and there were lots of red's caught on Cane's. Chris caught two measuring in over 29" on the cane. I would not have believed it except that he did it right in front of me. It was a hoot. I never got around to rigging my cane because I was having too much fun with my conventional gear. I guess though the investment of $3 is low enough for you to try it out and see what you can do. Either way, enjoy.
:fishing:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Cane poles are used for jiggerpole fishing in the bayous and creeks. It is deadly for both Largemouth Bass and Redfish fished with a 'bob'.

Don't bet against one. C2

·
Registered
232 Posts
yep i caught a fat 26" red on a panfish canepole(of course i used 50lb mono and a 6/0 hook instead of the 4lb test and a bobber) in the pol tournament

1 - 10 of 10 Posts