Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a week's worth of fishing in Ontario. Lots of smallies, largemouths, and pike.

Nothing beats a 4 lb smallie on a topwater plug!

Sandcrab
Water Cloud Sky Boat Tree
Water Vertebrate Boat Lake Angling
Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing Fishing
Water Plant Sky Atmosphere Afterglow
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft
Water Cloud Sky Boat Atmosphere
Water Sky Boat Water resources Ecoregion
Vertebrate Blue Water Fisherman Hat
Loon loon Water Bird Beak

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whereabouts were you? I like fishing the Ottawa River between Pembroke and Fort Coulonge. We catch smallies that look like footballs up there and enough walleye to have a good fry every night. But I think my favorite part of it is never knowing when a pike will decide to raise hell with a topwater or trolled lure.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whereabouts were you? I like fishing the Ottawa River between Pembroke and Fort Coulonge. We catch smallies that look like footballs up there and enough walleye to have a good fry every night. But I think my favorite part of it is never knowing when a pike will decide to raise hell with a topwater or trolled lure.
World Map Ecoregion Light Line

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice report, thanks for sharing. 12 years ago I had a friend set me up with his guy. We met in Cambridge and drove North 10 hours or so. Hopped on a plane and landed on a remote lake. Fishing was excellent. I would hope to go back again as we are still friends and talk often.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Early morning fishing topwaters for large smallies in 30' of water is my favorite. The large ones will not hesitate to swim 30' to hit a large One-Knocker Spook (white of course) when you walk-the-dog with it. Sometimes they actually jump OVER the plug! And smallies go BONKERS once they see the boat - or heaven forget - your netting partner shows them the net too early...

·
Registered
16 Posts
GREAT [pictures . Looks like one great time.
Several years ago we went trout fishing up to Lake Archer in Ontario Canada.
Also fished the Sauble River.
What a Blast but the bugs were bad :O ,
Have to do that again !

·
Registered
135 Posts
Early morning fishing topwaters for large smallies in 30' of water is my favorite. The large ones will not hesitate to swim 30' to hit a large One-Knocker Spook (white of course) when you walk-the-dog with it. Sometimes they actually jump OVER the plug! And smallies go BONKERS once they see the boat - or heaven forget - your netting partner shows them the net too early...
Let me tell you how true that is. When I fish Tuesday night tournaments with my buddy and I’m betting for him I’m always nervous when a smallie gets in range of the boat. Nothing beats small mouth fishing. Such a fun spastic fish. We are lucky in my area that 90 percent of what we fish have them. It’s always nice grabbing a walleye also on a Tuesday night. My parents love them. A lot of the guys in the club will save one for them if they catch one. We are all friends mostly Tuesday nights. Word always gets to me at some point if someone grabbed one for my parents. Or my other buddy is yelling down the lake to me. “ you want this for Ann and Jim.” Lol. My dad is always so happy. Calls me every Tuesday on my way home.
Nice fish though! On my way out in a few minutes for some actually. Hopefully it’s a good day.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Sand Crab,

Here are the pics for the Sage Rod you sold me at a vast discount.

Added a Gatti fighting butt and a PacBay AL8 reel seat.

Fighting but was needed to be able to palm the 9/10 size reel I put on the rod. The 5WT reel I put on originally did not have enough room on the spool for any backing. And I need backing...

The 9/10 Goture Chinese made reel was not much more than a CNC Chinese reel I put on it. Goture reel is smooth and rod is still light and it still throws tight loops with a double haul

Wood Line Drill Flooring Gas

Tool Wood Musical instrument Floor Flooring

·
Registered
956 Posts
Haven't been to the great white north in many years. Used to spend a week in Calabogie every year chasing monster smallies walsmallest,
Really need to get back up there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts