Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Just remember to air down, so as not to get stuck :eek: :p

J/k LOL

I would think a simple bike (Beach rental type), with wider tires and less gears would be the best bet, but as Terry said, DHL should have the answers.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking about fishing the assateague island side of the OC inlet and dont feel like walking...

anybody ever fish that side?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have been riding bikes into Back Bay/ False cape since the late 70's/early 80's. You can not ride in the loose sand but you can ride on the packed sand near the waters edge. I ride alot right next to the water and some times I will get saltwater on my bike, not good for a $1300 mountain bike. Usually I just take a cheap beach cruiser or old bike. Be sure to rinse it off very well after each trip, it will not stop the rust but will keep it to a minimum. Make sure you are doing any of you riding about 2 hours before or 2 hours after high tide. Also if the beach is flat it is a lot easier, when you have small rises on the beach there is usually soft sand on top which is very difficult. I have ridden close to 30 miles round trip on the beach and it is quite a workout, so be sure to have plenty of fluids. For fishing Assategue on the north end, let me know when you want go, I may be able to get you a boat ride over there. We used to paddle accross from West OC to Assateque to go surfing. I have had friends swim over and paddle over in kids rafts but I don't recomend it. If you can get hold of a kayak that would be the best way.

John

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Forget WD-40. Get Corrosion-X spray. It won't gaurantee no rust, but if you care about the bike, wash it down with car soap after your trip, and spray the whole bike down with Corrosion-X. I used to use it on my boat and trailer quite a bit. Great stuff. They also make Reel-X.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Forget WD-40. Get Corrosion-X spray. It won't gaurantee no rust, but if you care about the bike, wash it down with car soap after your trip, and spray the whole bike down with Corrosion-X. I used to use it on my boat and trailer quite a bit. Great stuff. They also make Reel-X.
I often wondered about both of those products! Is "salt-X" also one of theirs???

·
Registered
227 Posts
aluminum bike with aluminum welds and wash her off, grease her down, if u care about it

if not, flea market, $20 huffy, and beat it the hell up =]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tires make a difference

There are mountain bike tire made with tread desings specifically for sand and loose conditions.

I use Geax Blades for riding in loose sugar sand, they should work fine on a beach.

The tread has great traction and doesn't clog up. They are cheap and work great.

Google them: Geax Blade

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s been a while. Are you happy with your purchase and how is it going? What modifications have you made if any? Recently I have seen a few Raptors 700 in the street and then I came across this thread. Years ago I was also thinking of buying this bike, but then I gave up the idea. What is an area code for your location? It would be nice to see your bike in real life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts