Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
anyone know if they are allowing camping and fires in ft fisher in the winter. And anyone been catchin in ft fisher, kure beach, or carolina beach.
Here is my experience with "camping" on Ft Fisher

A definition of "camping" needs to be understood on Ft Fisher. So here goes:

1. There is the Ranger from Hell that will give you crap. He is the head Ranger. The other two will generally leave you alone as long as you are not to far out of line with the "Rules on Camping" as they are posted.

2. Camping cannot include an enclosed tent with walls. A pop up canopy, ie Shelter Logic, is allowed. Cots are iffey, best to sleep in a reclining beach chair, on the sand or in the truck or SUV. (I have slept on the beach in a Cabella's tent cot 3 times in the past and one ranger said it was a no no the other 2 rangers said it was fine.)

3. Sleeping in an over the truck bed camper or shell is "tolerated" (meaning they don't say anything to you).

4. One must be actively fishing at all times,,,meaning a rod with a line and hook in the water is required. Bait is optional, meaning you might not want to drop off to sleep with a baited hook in the water as you may wake up with no rod in the sand spike:D:D:D

5. No fires allowed EXCEPT a portable propane outside firepit (I know, I have one, the ranger inspected it one night and said it was ok).

7. If you are consuming any type of adult beverages, make sure they are well hidden and empty cans are not visible in the trash bags. (from experience):D

Now if you can follow all of the above, you should be able to stay over night on the beach,,,,but you cannot camp,,,hint hint:cool::cool:

PS:

There are foxes and coyotes on the island and have no fear about coming up to your site and eating anything left out.:eek::eek: Put all food in a secure place.

·
3,775 Posts
Here's some help.

You can get infor here.

Camping and Fires
Fort Fisher:

Camping is not permitted.
Open fires are not permitted.
Cooking is allowed only on grills in the picnic area or those provided by park visitors. Used coals must be disposed of in used coal containers at the visitor center. Used coals must not be burried on the beach.

Pushing the limits on what is and what isn't camping is something to be left between the ranger and to the user to argue. After a while, the rangers will just stop and start checking everyone. Before long, they will just start restricting being out there at night.

Also, the beach closes at night beggining March 15th at 7 pm.

Water temp today off of lee Island was 56.

·
Registered
347 Posts
you are right Ryan

To say it is ok to sleep if you do A, B and C is not correct...Kinda like saying it is OK to drink at the fort if the drink is hidden. The rules are the rules and it is up to the fisherman to do the right thing. Every time they bust a guy breaking the rules they have more ammo to close a beach...Am I perfrect? No way...

My first post in a loooooong time... Didn't want to post on this thread but felt I had to cause a part of me still claims the fort.

NO CAMPING
NO DRINKING
NO FIRES

Get on the boards telling people differently and it will be NO ACCESS as well.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Camping at the Fort

I doubt I would try my luck with camping at the Fort. The North end is just right up the beach and is open 24 hours and camping is welcomed. Hell, anything is pretty much welcomed at the North end. Except maybe fishing on the busier weekends of the Summer.

Darin

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
To say it is ok to sleep if you do A, B and C is not correct...Kinda like saying it is OK to drink at the fort if the drink is hidden. The rules are the rules and it is up to the fisherman to do the right thing. Every time they bust a guy breaking the rules they have more ammo to close a beach...Am I perfrect? No way...

My first post in a loooooong time... Didn't want to post on this thread but felt I had to cause a part of me still claims the fort.

NO CAMPING
NO DRINKING
NO FIRES

Get on the boards telling people differently and it will be NO ACCESS as well.
Dude;

Then you explain to me why it is ok for guys with camper trucks to "camp" on the beach and it is not ok to sleep in your SUV or Truck :--|

Explain that rather than blather away on what I posted as options for people WHO DON'T HAVE CAMPER PICKUP TRUCKS:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Classify the difference between spending all night on the beach fishing and maybe getting a little shut eye.

As far as I am concerned, they CAN shut it down all night if they only allow a certain "class" of fishermen or vehicles.

Sorry dude, but got my dandruff up real bad on this one.

·
3,775 Posts
All good points but beach access right now for a lot of people is a very sensitive subject. Those involved in the Beach Closings and studies several years back regarding Fort Fisher Know good and well what was at stake then and know what is at stake for the Hatteras Beaches.
Pushing the limits on the rules is ammo. I tend to bend rules from time to time myself, and I know the rangers have accepted some bending as well. I accept responsibilty for it, But the fact does remain that when rules are broken, the effect is felt by everyone.

So, with that said, Camping is not allowed on Fort Fisher, whether you get away with it or not is entirely up to those involved.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
All good points but beach access right now for a lot of people is a very sensitive subject. Those involved in the Beach Closings and studies several years back regarding Fort Fisher Know good and well what was at stake then and know what is at stake for the Hatteras Beaches.
Pushing the limits on the rules is ammo. I tend to bend rules from time to time myself, and I know the rangers have accepted some bending as well. I accept responsibilty for it, But the fact does remain that when rules are broken, the effect is felt by everyone.

So, with that said, Camping is not allowed on Fort Fisher, whether you get away with it or not is entirely up to those involved.
I can live and do live with all of the above,,,,

Just understand the fragile truce between all involved and say "yes sir and no sir" to the ranger and do what he says.

That was my the point I was trying to make in my first post when someone asked about "camping" on the Fort.

Sorry if I stirred the honey pot on some old feelings.

Tight Lines:fishing:

·
Registered
769 Posts
A rather harsh reply

Do not mean to seem too harsh, BUT: When you buy a yearly or daily pass, you know the rules! NO CAMPING! If you need sleep - go to a motel. If you want to camp - go to Carolina beach state park. If people continue to break the rules, they might restrict hours to daylight only, year round!! OR, you can go to the north end. my thoughts - glenn

·
Registered
171 Posts
sleep?
you only need sleep when the fishing is slow.
if it is one of those days when it is on and off every few hours, them do the buddy system, one sleep, one fish, you know ,,,,,
( take a p&s member fishing ):)
all will be great then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.