Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm looking for a place i can camp and fish with a popup camper the weekend of the 14th....something with electricity hookups and restrooms/shower facilities....also would like to build a fire(but not necessary) and of course the most important... a place i can catch some fish to cook... i will have a small 12ft alum boat with a trolling motor also....looking for freshwater lakes or rivers or surfishing......

dont really want to go to OBX, saving that for december...and something within atleast 3 hrs of norfolk......can anyone recommend a good place?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi we visited a place on the Route 13 before the Bay Bridge Tunnel going into Norfolk called Cherrystone Rv camp. Nice place!!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Breezy Point Campground

If and when it opens next year try BP out. Great place, you can camp right on the beach 20' from the water if you like. Fish from the beach or the pier good facilities with a big playground for the kids. They also have a store there that has everything you would need. They'll even fix meals for you if you like. Try it, you'll like it....Tightlines

Breezy Point Campground
Breezy Point Photo

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
cherrystone and seashore is kinda too close to home... looking to get out of va beach,norfolk area... that pic of breezy point looks perfect......something close to water....that your popup hat?

a guy at work recommended lake gaston...hows that place?

also anything on eastern shore? like beach camping ?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Kajun,

Yeah man thats my Popup. All I have to say about BP is good. If you go there you will have a good time. Oh yeah, you wanted fire, there is a fire pit at every site. They supply the first load of wood. Bottom line is, after you get your site setup there is no reason to leave the campground.

Last year my granddaughter wanted to camp in a tent, so we did. This photo shows the beach and pier in the background. It's all there, kick back, relax and enjoy. :)....Tightlines

BP Tent Camping

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea but its closed right?? i'm looking at going next weekend lol

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Kajun,

You might want to check Kepoteake State Park,on the other side of the CBBT.

I am planning a family(extended)camping trip next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Place to camp and fish

Kajun,
Try Lake Anna or Smith Mountain Lake. Christopher Run Campground is on Lake Anna but they might be closed for the season. No one ever figures we may have good weather this time of year. Other than that you may have to do the upper James for smallmouth and have two cars to go back to the put in. I know you can camp on the islands on the river. Right around the Scottsville area.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is a campground on the James River at Jamestown, right before you board the ferry. I think its called Jamestown Campground, but I'm not sure. Its got tent and trailer sites and some sites are right by the water. There is a boat ramp across the road from the campground. I've never fished there but I imagine there would be stripers and catfish in the area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a smallmouth bass fisherman who travels to the coast a couple oif times a month to enjoy the saltwater fishing. I live in Nelson County, Va. and there's plenty of great camping (rivers and lakes) and fishing in this area for a 12 ft. jon boat. In Arrington, Va., there's a nice little 40 acre lake called Lake Nelson. There's a privately owned campground that looks nice and the lake is owned and maintained by the Department of Game and Fisheries. It contains some nice size bass
, lots of bream, crappie and plenty of catfish too. I fish it a lot. I fish it often (I live 2 miles from it) It's 3 hours from the Hampton Roads tunnel. The James River and the Tye River are worth mentioning for smallmouth fishing and night-time catfishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts