Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pierfishing.com

One day, I'd like to hit the piers in California and see what that's like. Wonder how much different it is?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We'll, I've fished out there few times (Santa Cruz) when visiting my brothers. Folks out there are not die hards like here. At 8:00 pm, the pier is basically empty. We would catch small Kingfish using frozen anchovies, nothing to brag about. The times that we're out there I rarely see anyone catching anything. I think the seals had a lot to do with it. Nothing beat the piers out here.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
San Diego Pier fishing is kick butt!

Drop me an email and I'll fill you in on the details on what to fish for, what to use, and how to use it. I lived in SD for three years and hit either the piers or the party boats every weekend.

Outstanding fishing! :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not headed out there anytime soon unfortunately. I looked around but the only thing they catch off the piers out there that I really want is halibut. Mmmmmm

·
Registered
52 Posts
They do pretty well on salmon and striped bass off the public pier at Pacifica, just south of San Francisco. It's seasonal fishing, however, not year around. A few white sea bass (large weakfish relative) are also picked up from time to time.

Dan

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
My cousin lives in San Diego and keeps asking me when I'm going to visit him so he could show me what real fishing is. He also tells me that they catch big rays from the shore and the fight is unbelievable.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Only halibut...?

Halibut you can catch from any shore...now Tuna - That's one fighting fish! Try catching large (over 36") barracuda's from the pier on floating Rapalas in the early morning....or large leopard sharks at night...or calicio bass...or sand bass...

Lots more than halibut...

Mission bay in SD is home to 200 lbs + batrays...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts