Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a boat it is a 1989 Pro Line with a 175 Johnson that needs some work which I can do myself. It has a fiberglass top, Loran, fish finder, and a compass and also has a VHF radio. The people seem to think it needs a power head but doing some reading I think it may be a vro problem as it has the same symptoms as some I have read about. They are asking 3400.00 dollars for it and I am wodering if thats a good price and also this being my firrst boat what should I expect in annual maintenance and upkeep fees. I would apreciate input from anyone who knows boats and boating as well as any suggestions as this engine runs it just dies when you try and throttle up. would like to thank you in advance for any help i may recieve and good luck out there fishing.:

·
Registered
573 Posts
How big is it and who out there owns it? Its hard to say if thats agood price or but I woul dbe real weary of a boat that doesn't run. If it was my luck, I'd buy it be able to fix the immediate problem. Only to realize after it running tat tbhe entire lower unit is out. I would do allot of homework on that one and try to find one that you know runs. If you haven't checked into a new one yetm do that. You can get a good deal on a new boat and finance them with really low payments. Hell, you still have problems with them. Good Luck!
Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buying a boat

It is 21foot center console I am enclosing a link I havent looked at it they say it runs it wont run above idle. I read alot of info and it seems the vro pump is the most likely candidate. Thank you very much for your input. [email protected]. That is on norfolk craigslist just type in Pro line in the boat section

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Go to NADA Boats for the value of the boat without the motor. Go to NADA Motors for the value of the motor.

Now, as to the VRO - having recently acquired a boat with a VRO Johnson motor, I've read that it is often an advisable action to disconnect the VRO and just add the oil to your fuel. IF that is the problem, it may be a simple solution. It sounds to me like a carborator problem (filter(s)?) or a sync issue. BUT I don't know sh*t, so just a thought.

However, you do say that you can do the work yourself, so if you're mechanically inclined, and you do learn the older Johnsons, call me...I've got a few questions myself about my 225 Johnson VRO.

All in all - it sounds like a "fair" deal to me. Maybe you can talk him down some?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks RoryCoggin

Hey thanks for the info if I decide to get it I will definately get e service book and start learning so as soon as I know something I will be more than happy to help you if I can. I am hoping to talk them down some. Take it easy and Tight Lines

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
is this motor fuel injected?
i had the opportunity to tear down an evinrude fica motor fuel injected model.
this one of the sights that helped me out a lot.
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12478/217503.shtml
on another motor i found the bulb to be sucking air but that doesnt sound quite like what youve got but it is a process of elimination starting with the simple stuff.
does it get hot?
sometimes all the bells and whistles dont make up for the base not working properly.know what i mean?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply I understand about the bells and whistles not adding up to a good investment and am searching for a good platform to start with. I am trying to arrange a trip in the boat to see what it is doing and try to do some comparrison to the things I have read about. I am not sure if it is fuel injected or not it is a 175 Johnson VRO which is notorious for the VRO pump being a problem but is rebuildable. Any other advice will be much appreciated. Tight Lines and good fishing!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i'd go with my gut..
for a first time boat owner i'd suggest something that is turn key basic model.
i paid 400.00 for my first boat 3yrs ago. 1973 tidecraft 15ft stick steer. with a 1974 45hp chrysler motor. simple, fast, easy to work on and disposible..used for 2yrs till the salt tore it up.
bought a 15ft aluminum v-hull with a 35hp evinrude without electric start for 1000.00.
added a lowrance gps depth finder for 600.00 with card. total 1600.00. 18.00 to fill.
i go out ALL the time while my neighbor sits and looks at his 2007 26ft hydrasport with twin 200hp. he doesnt look too happy when i ask 'the fish are biting, when you goin' out?'

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i'd definitely want to know the compression before i bought it and the shape of the foot.
maybe even have a qualified tech look at it first.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Personally, I don't know if I'd mess with it. We bought a boat years ago with a 2000 Johnson ocean pro that had the same problem. We ended up spending $3,000 at Lynnhaven Marine trying to get it fixed, and it never ran properly. I'm no boat mechanic, but I'd definitely put a bit of thought into it before buying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice i am preparing an offer if they can get it in the water so we can see what the real deal is. If it cant go in the water then they can keep it they are wanting top dollar so we will see. Tight Lines and good fishing

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah dont do a thing until you do a sea trial, and actually see ifyou can do more than 1. Thats the only way to really find out what issues may be there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thanks for the advice i am preparing an offer if they can get it in the water so we can see what the real deal is. If it cant go in the water then they can keep it they are wanting top dollar so we will see. Tight Lines and good fishing
they are wanting top dollar for it? WALK AWAY.....walk right on over to ol' led.'s discount boat sales.
we wont let ya' sink. this model just came in. the owner recently passed(god bless)and his wife is not much of a sailor. her loss is your gain. we just topped her off and she is all serviced up for your day on the surf.. just come on down to ol' led's place he'll set you right up. tell him cliff sent cha'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see a dingy in this picture wheres the boat at. HA! HA!. Just got off the phone with the guy he blew up the engine. He got the boat from his Dad 5 years ago and never serviced it and the alarms for oil and temp started going off and he tried to get back to the ramp and it lost all power and started knocking so I will keep looking. I would like to thank everyone for there assistance and wish you all the best.THANK YOU

·
Registered
348 Posts
dude, golden opportunity here!

offer $1000 if the transom sounds solid. you can get a useable johnson for 1500 and be ready to go.

if you want to be handy and save money, this looks like your lucky day.
Jerry

·
Registered
188 Posts
You did not say what your limit was that you would like to spend, nothing worse than first Boat a Piece of SXXX. Older Pro Line Good Hull, that being said you have to get in boat and walk around, checking for soft spots, check fuel tank ,leaks /full of crud from sitting and gas is flat. I look and see if Boat has a CURRENT Registration if not WHY???

As for epenses ,if you can change lower unit fluids, change impeller you will save a few bucks doing that your self, where are you going to store boat, back Yard, storage area , Marina will add to expense ,towing insurance (Sea Tow Boat US ) Boat ins, did not say but how is trailer, You need to take A current Boat owner along with you when looking for first boat unless it is john boat with 10hp.
One other point to consider is Fuel Cost, In my view a smaller boat such as 18/19 with a 115 would be a better choice as a 4 Holer (V-4) cheaper to run tha 6 holer unless a four stroke,my 19 ft century 3 can fish with No Problem sure with 21 can add another Guy with bigger engine , .

Right now to many boats out there for sale and with winter coming on , pass on this Rig and look for little better set up, so perhaps you have to go up another $1000 in purchase price , hell you can find Junk any where almost Free . Remember dont buy the first thing that comes along , put some miles on vehicle looking and searching , Oh we didnt cover what are you going to Tow with, dont tell me a mini van,
Good luck in search, hell thats half the fun looking at JUNK cause it is readily available for new owners coming down the Pike. As others will tell you you will know YOUR BOAT when you see it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the good info I am going to pass on this one for now and look at at alot more. The guy is proud and doesnt want to negotiate it was his fathers and he wants top dollar. As far as tow vehicles I am good I have a 3/4 ton dodge diesel or a Expedition sorry no mini van. I will definately find a competent boat owner to go with me and will wait until I get a little better feel for the boat I am looking for. Again thanks to everyone out there and keep sending your thoughts they give me good things to look at and questions to ask .Tight Lines and good fishing

·
Registered
348 Posts
this is a lousy time to be holding out for top dollar,

you will surely find a good buy if you look patiently, with checkbook ready.

good luck,
jerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts