Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for any regulars who fish for Red Drum at the Point. What is the average distance that anglers attain with a heaver that are casting 8anbait? :confused: Thanks!

Macman

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Just guessing th avg is hitting 85-90 yrds with 8&bait.Some of th heavy hitters are prolly hitting 100-120yrds. Then ya figure in th Barney factor hitting 75 ft. with a two hook bottom rig. ;)

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Macman,

Depends on conditions. Regardless, I'm not near as generous as Cdog on the distance of us all given 8&bait from the point let alone other less intense areas of sand :rolleyes:

From my historical observation, I'd put average at 60-80yd range.

In more detail, I'd break it down as follows - long to short:

(1) 100yd plus crowd usually top 10% of "reel serious-8&bait" surf casters,

(2) 80-100yd crowd or above average regular crowd,

(3) 60-80yd crowd which includes non-regulars like me showin' up but have paid some dues over time :D

(4) 40-60yd crowd, either not serious or novice types, and lastly

(5) under 40yd crowd that are challenged and possibly always will be including Cdogs "Barney Fife" types, no matter there still fishin' and sometimes out catchin' the 100yd dog :cool:

Cast it where/when ya can, fish it more often, and catch it always,

`bucket

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
(5) under 40yd crowd that are challenged and possibly always will be including Cdogs "Barney Fife" types, no matter there still fishin' and sometimes out catchin' the 100yd dog
SSSSHHHHHHHH ya wont spose ta tell nobody that. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cdog/Bucket,

After I cracked up from Cdogs "Barney" reference (that was great!), I am glad to find out I'll fit into Buckets 60-80 crowd. I've had a chance to practice with the 8oz weight on my heaver at an empty ball field and found out it does involve some "gettin used to". But that was under ideal conditions. I'm focusing on accuracy for now and I hope my distance will improve with time. Thanks for the outstanding feedback! :D

Macman

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If you fish at the Point you'll be in the Gonga line. I wouldn't worry about accuracy to much,you'll be on the move the whole time if the bite is on. 60 to 80 will work, if you want 10 more use waders. Try not to cast over others and you'll do fine...Goodluck & Tightlines, Hat80

Gonga line you ask? Well you'll just have to see it...LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts