Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down for a long weekend to catch a red drum. I used FF rigs with 9/0 gamis baited with shrimp, cobb mullet chunks & heads, and tossed some smaller chunks on a smaller rod with a T&B rig.

Current was running hard L to R, and 8 was holding but 6 didn't even come close. Winds varied between 10-15 and 20+, and there was some rain from time to time, except Saturday was beautiful in terms of having sunshine and mid-70's temps. Water was warm ... perhaps too warm!

I fished the old lighthouse site area in Buxton, and also behind the Coast Guard station in Hatteras ...

Friday, bought bait when I arrived at 6pm, then stopped at the beach to question the people fishing, but there were scarce.

Saturday, fished 4hrs AM, 4 hrs PM, and 3 hrs evening.

Sunday, fished 2 hrs AM, 4 hrs PM, and then the winds kicked up, water started rising, and rain was spitting.

Monday, made a few stops but never got out my stuff ... just watched people's lines getting ripped along by the current ... began the trip home at 9:00am

Oh, and what did I catch? Well, a few pomps, spot, lizzard fish and pinfish ... better than the skunk, which seemed to be around for lots of folks, but not what I was hoping for :(

Anyway, a fishing trip is better than work, even when the fish aren't biting ;)

Some pics:

Fishing in Buxton ... lighthouse in background:

A pompano:

A collapsing Frisco Pier in the background:

Waiting at the porta-potty:

Oregon Inlet from the Bonner Bridge:

A tackle stop:

An odd sighting at the CBBT:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Thanks for the report. It is too bad about the pier at Frisco. I remember fishing that pier in my younger days.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fishhead or anyone else. I'm not familiar with T&B rig. What is this? forgive my ignorance :)
Top and Bottom ... basically a two hook setup where in this case there were two 4" leaders with a snap 10" apart with a snap at the bottom for the weight. I put small gamis on the hook snaps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts