Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know were the best place to get menhaden or bunker around here, i live in virginia beach, I'm sure Lighthouse and Oceans east have it anything closer out towards Dam neck or Sandbridge area. thanx for any help

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
doubt you're gonna find any bunker at a seafood market.... :rolleyes:

Lighthouse sometimes has it fresh, but most tackle shops around here don't hold fresh fatties. They can't seem to sell em before they spoil, so they end up freezing what they've got after a day or less.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Catch menhaden with a throw net inside Rudee. Most tackle shops sell "fresh" frozen menhaden. If you're going to do that call a place such as Amory's seafood distributors in Hampton and buy a flat (about 50lbs) of fresh frozen menhaden for $10-$15. There are couple of other seafood distrubutors that sell flats. Last year I bought three flats for $33 - 150lbs. It caught cobia and drum just fine.

Lou

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, just bought a new one for $45. Dang it, I hate buying rods unless it's the off-season. I'll probably just cut off the broken rod, add a tip and use it as a stiff 8 foot rod.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Lou,

Long Bay Pointe also sells fresh frozen flats at about the same price. I'm sure Lighthouse does too. Also, Lighthouse packages 5lb bags and salts/brines the fish before freezing. Seems to make a difference.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I think salting makes a difference.
I was taught to use Kosher Salt and
if you want to get really serious
use the vaccuum bag to make your
bunker last longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts