Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is planning on building their own fishing rod during the Winter doldrums?

BillR - Planning on building any more rods this Winter?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I might try to build one it seems like it not hard to do. Have you done it?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet...

Emanuel,

As I do so much traveling with my job (I was in San Diego last week), I have decided to build a 3 piece light saltwater conventional rod that I can take with my on my travels.

Looking from input from BillR who has built several rods...

·
Registered
680 Posts
sand crab. yes i am planning on building a few this winter. i am waiting on nick to let me know about a century rod. he is awaiting a shipment from the uk. a rod is not hard to build, but care and patience is the key. for someone who has never done it i would recommend you get dale clemmons " book. it is sold at most mail order shops. i have built a few hundred or so over the years.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billr,

Thanks for the info. Tom Kirtman sent me a copy of his rod building book and that prompted my interest. Any special blanks that you would recommend for jetty or pier fishing? What about 3 piece travel blanks?

·
Registered
680 Posts
1. travel blanks are ok, but i wouldn't want to catch a big one. whenever you have a ferrule you have a weak and a dead spot. some of the newer twopiece have that sort of under control.

2. to pick a blank you must determine what it will be used for. then go from there.

3. i lean toward the medium as i like the feel, and i often go woth light line. off piers , for trout and flounder, i use 8lb test. i also release almost all i catch.

4. when i go for drum etc. i use 20lb.

i could go on and on but this will do for now.

have a great christmas and holidays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts