Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a Rainshadow SU1266 Spinning Rod and was wandering if any of you guys ever used BMNAG concept guides for medium spinner use.

Here is the layout so far:

BMNAG 10 J 6 inches from the tip
BMNAG 12 J 14.75 inches from the tip
BMNAG 16 J 24.5 inches from the tip
BMNAG 20 J 37 inches from the tip
BMNAG 25 J 50.75 inches fromt he tip
BMNAG 30 J 71 inches from the tip
Guide spacing is off Batson's website.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I typically use the New Guide Concept placement based on the reel being used, and use very lightweight guides for the tip section, mainly fly guides. Greatly improves tip recovery and casting distance as well. There is a good writeup over on Rodbulding.org that explains it. You end up with a rod built around a specific reel, but you'll get better performance in the long run. If you're like me and you don't switch reels around on rods, it would be worth looking into.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I am building a Rainshadow SU1266 Spinning Rod and was wandering if any of you guys ever used BMNAG concept guides for medium spinner use.

Here is the layout so far:

BMNAG 10 J 6 inches from the tip
BMNAG 12 J 14.75 inches from the tip
BMNAG 16 J 24.5 inches from the tip
BMNAG 20 J 37 inches from the tip
BMNAG 25 J 50.75 inches fromt he tip
BMNAG 30 J 71 inches from the tip
Guide spacing is off Batson's website.
On my AS 1265 jetty rods (I've built 4 of them), that's all I use. The BMNAG guides (or NSG) have proven to handle the shock of jetty life - banging around on the rocks, etc...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandcrab..

Is this very similar guide size and spacing that you are using for a spinning rod for the 1265?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I put all my rod building stuff away after my last rod project (AFAW BB). I'll dig in the archives and let you know my specs for a 1265 spinner...

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I agree with Terry, and would suggest using the intended reel to determine guide set up- follow instructions from the mentioned web site.

You might wind up with several smaller guides, size 8 or 10 out near the tip, but the smaller the guides the better the performance.

The reel selected will determine placement of the stripper guide- hence needing to know the reel to be used prior to guide set up.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
...You might wind up with several smaller guides, size 8 or 10 out near the tip, but the smaller the guides the better the performance.
SC,

Good point. I use a 4' length of 50 lb mono with a snap on one end and a swivel on the other end for all my jetty fishing - especially when I fish at night. Having a smaller tip top on the rod prevents having the swivel go through the eye when fishing at night. Saw one guy snap off his tip top due to this... You dont want to be messing with a broken tip top on the jetty at night... :(

Sandcrab

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
All Star 1265 (10'6") Spinning blank guide placements

Here is the layout. Distance is from each guide to guide. All guides are Fuji MNSG less the tip top (Fuji FST)

Centimeters/Inches

11 (4.33")
12.5 (4.92")
15 (5.91")
18 (7.09")
21 (8.27")
23 (9.06")
26 (10.24")
29 (11.42")
33 (12.99")

It's much easier using centimeters for measuring distance.

Sandcrab

My bust - guide sizes 30/20/16/12/10/8/8/8... and a Fuji FST-8 tip top...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts