Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a good, high quality heavy 12‘ surf rod and fast action reel that are $140 dollars in total.
I want to cast far.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know, I am using Okuma rods and reels. They all fit into your budget. At least here at my place. In Croatia you can buy decent rod reel combo with 140 box. Prices may be different (higher) in US though due to higher taxes....I just don't know...💰:unsure:

Here you can find Okuma catalogue in pdf format:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Generally longer rods will allow you to cast further, however, this will be based on your technique. A 10’ rod may work out just as well. For that price range you will sacrifice quality either for the reel or rod. A Daiwa or Penn combo fits the bill.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I’m looking for a good, high quality heavy 12‘ surf rod and fast action reel that are $140 dollars in total.
I want to cast far.
Any ideas?
Assuming you are casting a conventional style surfcasting reel... The Best Bang for your dollar would be the Penn Battalion. It comes in a 12 ft Heavy and 12 ft Extra Heavy... How much weight and bait to you intend to fish with?

Its a far superior rod over the cheap Chinese Berrypro

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming you are casting a conventional style surfcasting reel... The Best Bang for your dollar would be the Penn Battalion. It comes in a 12 ft Heavy and 12 ft Extra Heavy... How much weight and bait to you intend to fish with?

How about I get that with a cheap 30 dollar size 8000 reel?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Would a Shimano Stella reel work? I have one that is size 6000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of my backup rods is the bass pro; Offshore angler breakwater surf. $99.99 .. 12 footer 4-10oz. I've always been surprised with the distance i can get out of it, given the price. Stick a sealine x20 on there & let er rip. A little over your budget, but just throwing out there.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Yeah I’m confused now.

Like Stank Bait said the Breakwater has had good reviews and less expensive if you‘ve used up the stimulus checks on a Stella.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I’m confused now.

Like Stank Bait said the Breakwater has had good reviews and less expensive if you‘ve used up the stimulus checks on a Stella.
Lol, I spent some money on that but I’m afraid that that sand will get in the reel so I’m not using it. I’m broke now to budget rod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts