Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving all!

I've had some luck with 1/4 oz-3/8 oz bucktails when the blues are out. I've used both Andrus Rip Splitter and Spro with equal success. Both are about $5 online. I saw this the other day in the local tackle shop and something similar at Walley World. It would be like getting them for 1/2 price. Think there's any difference? Head shape make a difference?

Also, any thoughts on hook size? Even some of the small bucktails have 7/0 hooks. Seems huge and like the size on a jig head (3/0?) would be more appropriate. Red Wool Wood Thread

·
Registered
929 Posts
If your using these for blues I see your concern on the money factor. Bluefish will hit anything and eat just about anything in the water moving .throw whatever is the cheapest thing you can find out there for blues they are not picky.I normally buy those junk garage. Sale Lures plug and use them .

Yes different jig heads shapes do different action so this will matter depending if your vertical jig or casting . inshore or boat etc. Some attachment location on the jig head itself might be different as well. More or less hair will make it drop slower or faaster plus synthic hair will give a different drop speed. Lots of factors depends how your fishing and for what your targeting . for blues anything works.

As for the hook size 3-0 or 2-0 works as a good inshore starting point. if your plastic tails are getting bite off the jig head. Move to a longer shank hook or add a another j hook behind the jig head itself works great on blues and small schoolie if they aren't hooking up or spitting hooks thus will solve that issue. Schoolie Stripers have no problem hitting 7-0 hooks a small blue might but not a chopper blue. Flounder will hit big baits and hooks as well I use 5-6 inch swimming gulps curly tails .

I very rarely fish anything under a total weight of .5oz weight jig head . I usually run them in tandem rig so two one quarters oz or two Three quarters oz in a tandem setup. I'm a tandem jig setup guy like a spec rig.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info! I am targeting stripers for the most part. I start with soft plastic and move to the bucktail if the blues are biting me off.

I've read many people like the forward hook eye position & smiling/bill head on the Andrus for casting and top hook eye position on the SPRO better for vertical jigging. In my limited experience fishing off the bank, I had similar success with both.

Great note on the hook size. I'll roll with the 7/0 without fear going forward.

I've also started using a speed clip. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
That is the perfect bucktail for stripers. Just add a 6 or 8 inch twister tail depending on the weight size of the jig. As for blues it will work but eventually the hair will be bitten off and you will have to retie it back on.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I thought the small bucktails with the large hooks were for bottom bouncing in deeper water such as when using three way swivels.

I think John Skinner has no problems with clips of the Tactical Angler variety.

For more information consider John Skinner's book " Fishing the Bucktail" or William Muller's book "Fishing With Bucktails".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts