Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out on a friends boat to fish south on saturday. found the big boys around false cape maybe 2-5 miles south of va/nc border. I got my biggest striper ever at 40'', crazy fat fish though, it weighed in at 30lbs even. captain claimed the scale was off cause he knew it was 35lbs. I think most 40'' fish are more like 23-27lbs. My previous record from 2002 was a 37'' that weighed
17lb.. 3'' longer and almost twice as heavy. anyway this fella was big, he had 3 trout, a 2 lb croaker, and an 11in menhaden in his belly along with a big pile of un-identifiables.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Fish Weights

Interesting, my 35" fish was 16# but my 39" was 25#. 5" but 9 pound difference. Kenmefish had a 42 1/2" fish but weighed in at 33# I think. Then FishnFool2 gets a 43" fish that weighs in at 44#. Guess its all about whether they are full when ya get em or not.????:eek:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
We pulled up a 41" at Cape Henry on Saturday and it only weighed 25#.
Rockhead, you were right where the bite was the best on Saturday. We got in the water late so we stayed closer to our launch site.
Aren't release citations 35" in NC?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good question on the citation?? We left little creek at 530 am. didnt see light till we were passing the sb pier, didnt slow down till corolla light. got a few there and heard so much chatter about the bite around sandbridge we started trolling back north(we were prepared to go as far as Oregon inlet) definitly a great day. weird though we would go through a big bunch of dinks 4-5 rods down at once. we would clean all the dinks off then we would hit the big ones. happened three or four times. got all our good fish on the mojos

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
a lot of people are saying that the bay stripers are really skinny because they don't have enough to eat, it may be that the skinny fish are from chesapeake bay while the fat ones are the big ocean run ones that come down from up north.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Bluerunner,it doesn't take those bay fish long to "zero" in on the food supply in the ocean.. OI and parts north,as well as North Beach in Hat have so many (fatback,bunker,menhaden,whatever ya want to call them :rolleyes: ) you could walk on them.. Glad to hear about the trout in them,haven't heard of many that were full of trout this yr yet. When they are hungry,I think they'll eat anything that moves,caught a 35lber off Avon with a big squid,3 lingcod,and a butterfish in her... :D
PS Glad to hear about the "dinks",that is a good sign.. ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Nice fish rockhead. That weight sounds about right for a fat fish. I had a 44" fish that weighted 35# in Jan. 2002 and a 43.5 that weighted 33# this year. I want one of them 40 lbers bad. Maybe this is the year.

Tight lines...

Ken

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
They'll eat anything

My father told me last season a 50 plus inch striper that was caught off nj coast weighed 62 lbs and had 6, 12 inch flounder and 2 sea bass in its stomach...They will eat anything.. specially when forage fishes are scarce ..Ive caught them with crabs,croakers,spearing {silver sides},eels,sea horses,menhaden,mullet,sandeels,and even a starfish in there stomachs. im sure even more rarities have been found in the stomachs of bass..they may not be a feared fish species but its obviouse they will try to consume anything that will fit into there mouths.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how bout a big ole rock, caught one w/ bulging stomach had a rock(stone) in its belly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts