Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's what happened. My future sister in law shut the garage door on my favorite bass rod. 7' graphite 2 peice (formerly), 3 peice (currently). She shut the door pretty hard and snapped the rod right above the handle, at the thickest part. I am pretty sure there is no way to fix the rod.

Is there any way I can save the handle and put it on a new blank? Is this even cost effective? Should I just trash it and get a new rod all together? Is it worth taking the guides off the rod and saving them?

TIA for comments.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Rod repair

JB Custom Rods

Give John a shout. He is a good builder and might be able to help you out. If nota repair, he has some awesome rods. Not to mention, he is a good guy.

·
Registered
680 Posts
if the guides and tip are in good condition you might save them. it would be economical if you built or repair, otherwise, no. as for the hanlle or reel seat, they are epoxied on and to save them would be difficult, to say the least. get a new rod.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
What brand/style rod?

One, maybe a warrenty issue, two, I was a Tounament Basser for 10 years, and may have something of interest.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a Cabelas rod that snapped. Cost me $40. Nothing spectacular, but I really liked it. I dont think they will warranty this type of breakage. I have actually ordered, and recieved, a replacement, but I dont think I will like it as much. I think I will send in the bottom half to Cabelas and see what happens. I am at lease going to save the top half since my dad has the same rod.

Wizard - You trying to unload some bassin rods? I may be interested.:D :D

FH - I sent John an email. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
OldBay said:

Wizard - You trying to unload some bassin rods? I may be interested.:

Might have one or two ;)
Let me know what you're looking for (specify spinning/conventional). May have some reels as well, a few boat rods, haven't been through some of this stuff in a while. Just know I have a "big" closet full of some of everything.

Big tackle boxes, softbags, lots of softbaits(tons new in the bag), etc....

Had to get me started, didn't ya :D

Just noticed you're from DC, fish the Potomac River much? That is one "awesome" river (both ends)! If so, how are the grass beds holding up?

Tight Lines.................

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Potomac

I was fishing the potomac fairly regularly in the spring and summer. I usually go by fletchers boat house or near the Old Anglers Inn. I haven't gotten to hit the potomac in about 2 months though.

I could use a 7' 2 piece graphite spinning rod, M - MH action. I couldnt spend more than about $35 on the rod, so if you have all high end stuff this may not work out. Got anything that may fit my needs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts