Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually broke my fishing rod (in snapped when I took it apart - a 2 piece rod). It broke off about 9 inches from the top. Is there a way to repair it? It is a Daiwa Eliminator Custom surf rod. Only cost $11 when I bought it in the offseason. It's $45 now that the season has gone underway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi rhino, I am a rod builder in Va Beach. Sorry to hear you broke your rod!

There are some techniques used by rod builder to repair broken rods such as yours, but when the rod breaks the original action and feel of the rod is lost and is irrecoverable. Some will argue this point, and thats fine - but the fact remain that additional material will need to be added to the blank to fix the break, this is undisputable. This additional mass affects the "feel" of the rod.

To fix it a closely fitted sleeve is added over the break, and bonded to the broken area with epoxy and thread. In order to slide this sleeve over the break any guides that are in the way will need to be removed, then reattached. The cost of the repair? Being conservative the cost of the work will exceed $45.

If you really want it repaired best to send the rod back to the manufacture and have them replace the tip. Regardless, it is going to come to very near the cost of a new rod.

Lou

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Rhino,

Yes repair is quite possible even just slappin' a tip on it where it broke off. However, given your initial investment I'd come off the jack and score a new rod :rolleyes:

Only question is what to buy :D After you have new rod, then take your time on repairing said broken stick ;)

Fish what ya got,

`bucket

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
rhino I too broke the tip off a favorite rod, a med. action Penn power-graph ( lost out in a run-in with an electric truck window ).Initial reaction was I thought the world had ended, but I got a new tip put on @ 17th St. Tackle and now even though my 7' rod is only 6'8" I love the new stiffer action. As a matter of fact I probably use it more than any other.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I too broke a Daiwa Sealine X and daiwa replaced the whole top piece for free. here is there number 562) 802-9589 it don't hurt to ask...... JAM

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My solution to my rod problem. I went to K-mart and bought a replacement for $45. I waited a few days, then took the broken one back with the reciept and they took it no questions asked. Full refund. So I'm back to where I was before with a $11 Daiwa Eliminator. Granted, I did spend some the refunded money on some new tackle while I was there (fillet board, couple of rattle traps, a gotcha plug, some Ironsilk line, and a knife sharpener). FYI: I recommend the Ironsilk line over Spiderwire stealth, but not over Power Pro.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Is that legal??? Don't know if I would have posted that on here. Not like it hasn't been done before. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts