Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I snapped the tip section on my 1143 yesterday while throwing 3oz bucktails using the OTG cast. Anyone else have this happen to them? Anyone have any experience with returns to WRI? I bought the blank at fishsticks 2 years, but they have new owners and no longer carry WRI, so I doubt that path will lead to a replacement tip.

On the positive, I was glad I was putting enough power in my cast to do that :) I was casting 175 plus yards before it snapped, 75 more than normal. The extra distance was 100% attributable to the great advice I got on P&S on the distance casting form and having time to practice while unemployed :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Don't know how to contact them either I have a fusion mag that I broke last year. Instead of trying to do something about then I just bought a new blank.

I would like to get the other one replaced Just don't know where to go like you I bought mine from fishsticks.. Help would be appreciated...

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
That stinks. I loved mine. Threw like a mofo. Was joy to fish and I hope they've worked out whatever was wrong with them.

I'll call on Tuesday and see about a replacement.
I've got one of the 1143's I like very much as well, no problem with mine yet, check and see what they say on replacement.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Contact Tommy or Jeff Hester. They'll take care of ya.
good luck with that I sent them an email 2-3weeks ago and havent heard anything.:mad:

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
two unanswered voice messages so far. They may be on vacation this week, but my prospects aren't good. This is exactly why fishsticks doesn't sell their stuff anymore.

What would be a comparable rod from another vendor? How about a Ron Aura?

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good and positives things from my end. Tommy and Jeff are good hard working folks. They stand behind their product 100%.

Then haven't they returned any voice messages or emails? I don't want to have to track them down to various internet haunts or be part of the in-crowd to at least have a phone call returned.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Then haven't they returned any voice messages or emails? I don't want to have to track them down to various internet haunts or be part of the in-crowd to at least have a phone call returned.

Give it a minute. Wheels Reels isn't a huge company, its more of a sidejob from their passion of fishing. I know everyone is having a hard time getting their blanks. Also them Wheeler is hard at work during this time of year.

They'll take care of you. Really, I mean you can't take a rod back anywhere and expect instant fix. Wheeler and them are good guys, they'll take care of it.

As far as whats a comp. Let me know if you find any that don't cost 3x as much.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Give it a minute. Wheels Reels isn't a huge company, its more of a sidejob from their passion of fishing. I know everyone is having a hard time getting their blanks. Also them Wheeler is hard at work during this time of year.

They'll take care of you. Really, I mean you can't take a rod back anywhere and expect instant fix. Wheeler and them are good guys, they'll take care of it.

As far as whats a comp. Let me know if you find any that don't cost 3x as much.
How much are you paying for them? The 1143s, fusion mags, etc cost as much as top of the line blanks. I paid $220 for the 1143 and $300 for the fusion mag. Where can I get them for a third of the price?

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've waited a full month now and still no reply, so I'm getting something else from another supplier.

What are some good plugging blanks? How about the Ron Aura series? CTX? St. Croix?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have heard of several of the Arra series rods broken. They are a very thin walled blank, and dont stand up to any abuse at all. If you are even slightly hard on your equipment I would look elsewhere. The only blank I can think of in the CTS line off the top of my head is the carp blank, it is 12' and the sweet spot is supposed to be 3.5oz, you could cut it down to 11 if thats the length you want to stay with. The AFAW Estuary is supposed to be awesome, but I have been waiting on one since the first week of April so they are equally hard to get ahold of.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Rods

Those Estuary Rods should be available now. I don't know whether or not they're selling as blanks or finished rods(or both).

I built the Estuary(11 foot, 1-3 oz) as both a conventional and as a spinner. It works real well in both configurations. This rod will cast 4 oz with no problem.

It is one remarkable rod that will hold up well.

BTW; my Breakaway rod broke the other day after 9 years of hard riding. I guess that it got tired. Nick asked me to send it to him to let him look at it, but I didn't feel like shipping it. I repaired it instead and will probably get 9 more years out of it.

I have both the AFAW 13 foot Surf(3-5 oz) and the 11 foot Estuary(1-3 oz). JMHO C2

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.