Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lines in the water at 1:30pm for a 2:45pm high tide. Lots of nice Spot, 10" to 18" Croaker and some blues showed up. The marina store said a boat was on the way in with a new state record Spot, over two pounds. For bait I had bloods, shrimp, peeller crab and chicken. Spot on bloods, Croaker on shrimp and the blues hit the chicken. Left at 9:45pm with a mixed bag of about 30 fish. See you guys on the 2nd....Tightlines

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice report Hat, how big were those blues and how many did you pick up? I haven't been out to Breezy in a while but looking forward to going out again.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reddog1,

nothing real big. They ran between 8" to 18" I'm just glad their starting to show up again. I took 7 nice ones to smoke, theres not much better eating than smoked Bluefish.....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a Carbroil wood smoker,

the first thing I do is soak the Bluefish in Yukon Jack for about 3 hours in the frig. Yukon Jack is a 100 proof Canadian whiskey and honey based liqueur with a very nice orange flavor.

The alcohol evaporates all the oil off and leaves a nice orange taste to the fish. Then depending on how much fish I have I smoke it from 2 to 6 hours useing a mix of 2/3 Apple and 1/3 Cherry wood. Try it, you'll like it!.....Tightlines ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hat,
I assume you were using chicken soaked in peeler crab oil, maybe? Were you using a bottom rig or a bluefish rig?

That bluefish looks great, just wish I had a smoker.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey reddog1,

I had both, soaked and plain. The Blues wanted the plain, everytime on the top hook of a Tylers bottom rig. I had a fishfinder rig out too with crab, no takers on this day. Still had a good time.

I see your in Alexandria we need to hook up some time. As I'm retired all I need is a hour notice most of the time and I'm ready to roll....Tightlines

·
Registered
467 Posts
Great Day Hat80

I fished Breezy Point also on the 26th from the time it opened until 3pm. Only one 12" rockfish to report. I wanted to fish the pier but my dad insisted on fishing the beach. We were down by the fence. Our problem was so many swimmers showed up that we couldnt really do anything. I had bloods,shrimp and chicken. He wanted to fish the beach so he could practice on his new casting technique that we learned from the casting session. we both improved our distance by at least 50'. Hey Hat, Ill see you on the 2nd. Great day you had and im glad someone was catching fish. There were guys on jet skis who kept riding in our fishing space. At one point they actually rode up on the beach where we were. Wont fish the beach at Breezy again during beach season...........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
905 Posts
hey clyde,

did you ever just grill the bluefish after soaking in yukon jack. i don't have a smoker, so i was wondering if it tasted just as well grilled after marinating in the yukon jack.

fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts