Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried the Breeches Buoy Rig for anything?It consists of a snap swivel conected to 24-36" of leader with a hook at the end with a live fish attached on the hook.You throw out one rod then clip the Breeches Buoy rig on to the line using the snap swievel.

You can use it on King Mackeral,Cobia,Tarpon,Stripers,Weakfish,and any other big game from piers.Don't get it confused with Pin rigging where 2 rods are used.
Does this rig work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just saw it for the first time in Milt Rosko's The Striped Bass Book , but have never heard of anyone using it locally... Any experiences that can be shared are greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I've done really well with spanish, blues, and blacktip sharks using it. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to a really big fish like a king or a large shark though. I do pier rig for spinner sharks and that is a hoot, so much fun.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hi, longtime lurker, intermittant poster here. I've been wondering about that rig. Like a Trolley, only it requires only one rod, right? I've been considering using that for some max distance, but hook-ups may be kinda hard unless the fish hits hard. Oh well, next time.

AtlantaKing

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You only use one rod with this rig.Has any King Mackeral or Striper fishermen used this rig.I do agre if a fish hits it;it would be hard to hook up with him unless hes swimming away from you or he hits hard.Is the rig sucess full on big gamefish like Stripers or King Macks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might have to buy or look in Milt Roskos Striped Bass or The Big Four books.:(

But I 'll try to give you a diagram

l
l
l your Fishing
line
l
l
l
l
l
snap swivel--------------24-36" 80lb test----6/0-9/0 hook
l cliped to the line
l
l
Snap Swievel
Sinker 4-8ozes

I hope this helps
Its a type of rig to use to liveline where long distance casts are needed like at Matapeake

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Using this rig, I'd say the circle hook would be the way to go. Since this seems like a pier application, can't really see the advantage of using this, over a 2 rod set-up, maybe I'm missing something? ;)

TRIGGERFISH...Check here.....

"The Striped Bass Book"

·
Registered
823 Posts
my biggest concern for king mack fishing is how do you regulate the depth of your bait? i like mine to stay about 12" - 18" below the surface

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Milt Rosko said he got the Idea to use the rig from King Mackeral fishing of Florida Piers in his bookThe Big Four

·
Registered
823 Posts
will look for it

interesting concept. would make life easier if i can regualte the bait. in search of said book. thanks happypappy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts