Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how you break off on a snag when you're using something like:

65 lb braid tied to 60lb mono shock leader (or abrasion leader from a boat) to a 50 lb rig of your choice. Hopefully the rig will break first, but mainly I'd like to know how you would prevent the braid from digging into the spool without cutting your hands to shreads. I wrap the braid around a towel, close my eyes and PULL. I've had the towel slip a couple times and that is a good reason for a first aid kit in your gear. :eek:

What do you do?

·
Registered
536 Posts
TillMan Driver Gloves

Dam Good Work Gloves. Also good for welding with a cotton liner underneath.
Couple wraps on either hand or both. Pull like a MoFO. Has not cut into them
yet! Tillman 1414

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Yet is the key word. Take a piece of wooden dowel (broom handle size) and wrap it around the dowel several times. If the gloves work, cool, but that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Carry a small piece of wooden dowel

or 4-5" piece of broomstick in you tackle box. Take up the slack, wrap the line around the stick four or five times (overlapping if you can), and then use the stick like a handle to pull your line out. If you keep just a little pressure on top of the wraps of line on the stick, it shouldn't slip - if it does, give it a few more wraps...

okay b beat me to it...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yet is the key word. Take a piece of wooden dowel (broom handle size) and wrap it around the dowel several times. If the gloves work, cool, but that's not a risk I'm willing to take.
That's a good tip fellas. Wish I had thought about that the other day before I went fishing on the triangle wrecks. I got hung up several times. I was lucky enough to bounce my rig out of the wrecks, but I'll try the wooden dowel idea next time. Do you think that would work well from a boat though? I can see how it would really do the trick on the pier or in the surf, but I don't know if it would work quite as well on a boat. Anyway, good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
hmmm when on the boat wrap it a few times around the cleat crank up and move around a little!! LOL hopefully you wont break a cleat....I like the broom stick idea or wrap it around the net handle and give her a few good hard tugs

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
That's a good tip fellas. Wish I had thought about that the other day before I went fishing on the triangle wrecks. I got hung up several times. I was lucky enough to bounce my rig out of the wrecks, but I'll try the wooden dowel idea next time. Do you think that would work well from a boat though? I can see how it would really do the trick on the pier or in the surf, but I don't know if it would work quite as well on a boat. Anyway, good advice. Thanks.
Yep, works just fine from a boat. Sometimes the rockin motion will give you some extra leverage.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can use any kind of dowell, rod, a stick or even a piece of lumber, whatever is handy. If I did not have anything handy I would use my pliers to wrap the line around before pulling. I now use a product made specifically for the task called the Braid Buster made by Deep Blue Marine. It is made out of Starboard and shaped like an anchor with grooves for your fingers. You can wrap the braid around it in a few different directions to hold and than just pull to free or break the line. I use it more for snugging up knots with thin braid than for snags. It is a very handy little tool to add to the tackle bag/box. It only costs about $5. I picked mine up at Alltackle.

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've found with mono (especially if you're casting a good way out or down from a boat) there can be significant stretch. One the ground, I just walk backwards...in a boat that might not be prudent...
But mono is not really your problem - its braid, and given the almost zero stretch in braid, I think it will work okay on a boat. just take up the slack before you wrap onto the dowel. Once you have the wraps on, you can even take up the last bit of slack by rolling the dowel in your hand before you start to pull.
I'd be interested in knowing how it works for you...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can use any kind of dowell, rod, a stick or even a piece of lumber, whatever is handy. If I did not have anything handy I would use my pliers to wrap the line around before pulling. I now use a product made specifically for the task called the Braid Buster made by Deep Blue Marine. It is made out of Starboard and shaped like an anchor with grooves for your fingers. You can wrap the braid around it in a few different directions to hold and than just pull to free or break the line. I use it more for snugging up knots with thin braid than for snags. It is a very handy little tool to add to the tackle bag/box. It only costs about $5. I picked mine up at Alltackle.

John
That "braid buster" looks like the Cadillac line puller. The dowell/piece of broomstick sounds like the cheap way to go and I'll use that for now. At least until the Cady gets here! Somebody is always inventing cool stuff.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
And the answer is : A Sharp Knife.
Question is Why are you using 65# braid on a Pier or in the Surf?
Sure just cut it :p There aint enough line allready out there.. I hear mussels and barnacles attach to it . Creating another reef :D that's gotta be a good thing..

The dowel trick works great... If in a pinch and frustrated its your.... umpteenth time.. .. and if your using a multiplier reel wrap the line around the handle shaft and wrench it up..

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Sure just cut it :p There aint enough line allready out there.. I hear mussels and barnacles attach to it . Creating another reef :D that's gotta be a good thing..

The dowel trick works great... If in a pinch and frustrated its your.... umpteenth time.. .. and if your using a multiplier reel wrap the line around the handle shaft and wrench it up..
The only reservations I would have about cutting braid is the fact that stuff is an outboard killer!!!! When you get that stuff wrapped up in the prop it makes for a really bad day. I'd rather try to pull it and break the mono.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Heard some great idea, all but cutting the line. I've got it caught up in my motor before too... Can make a big mess for you... I'm going to cut a dowel before heading down to fl. this March.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.