Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to place my old 402 saltwater Mitchell(base is 3-1/8") on a BreakAway 119-2XH 11'9" 3-6oz.(base space is 2 5/8")
and the seat is too small, the reel will not fit. I also tried a Daiwa XT (3" base)and it does not fit.
Has anyone had problems like this?
Does G-Loomis have larger seats?
I am looking for for something to improve my distance over my OM 12' 9oz.
A range around 4-6oz. is normal with some 8oz days. Nick At BreakAway said the 4-6oz. is OK for 8oz., I can use the OM for 8+oz.
Any advice G-Loomis vs. BreakAway vs St.Croix???
Thank You

Ps. I like that 8.5 St. at 2oz. but thinking about adding the 9'6' 1-3 BreakAway or 1-5 G-Loomis?
For IRI, jetty, light Surf?

·
Registered
893 Posts
It looks like your Breakaway rod is a conventional rod. If so, maybe that is why the reel seat is too small. I have no problem using Daiwa XT on Breakaway spinning rods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Green Cart, The rod is marked LDFS 119-2XH, the S is spinning? Maybe the bottoms got swapped at some point. The ferrules are nice and tight with no play at flex.
I did notice when I tried a St 10" that the ferrules had play at flex?
How do you like your Breakaway-XT combo for fishing not just distance casting?
What models are they?
Any ideas on Breakaway vs. St. vs. G-loomis.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Corbina,

Ahh! You did not mention the model number LDFS before. Yeah, S indicates spinning. Also, LDFS indicates that it is sold by Breakaway. Maybe you should take that up with Breakaway.

I have two 11'-9" (one for spinning and other for conventional). I also have have 2/1 PC for spinning. I cannot comment on G-Loomis as I don't own any.

I usually use 11'-9" for 4 to 6 ounces. It appears to me that 11'-9" can handle 8 ounces. I like them for both fishing and casting. The rods are strong, but they are a little too heavy and long especially if you want to come down to 2 or 3 ounces. The rods are definitely too long and heavy if you do a lot of plug casting.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Corbina,

I should also mention that all my Breakaway rods are custom rods that I ordered from Hatteras and Jack (?) from NC. In other words, I did not order directly from Breakaway. Does that help you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
No problem here, Diawa XT 6000/Breakaway 11'6" spin.

St. Croix has some "breakage" problems reported on other boards. No problem w/ Ben Doer models. Warranty fixed, but you wait.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello corbina I have a custom breakaway also that is 12'4" it is a stiff stick.Not a 2pc/1pc but with anything under 5 Oz lead forget it.My bro has the g.loomis production rod and it is also a beast, the real seat will accomodate the reals you have .Have used everything from penn 8500, tica taurus and van staal vs 300. mcrae has the production breakaway also and if I can recall he had a thunnus on it. Hopefully he can post a reply I know he now uses custom hatjack breakaways and a conniflex. hopefully this helped a little.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a file and super fine sand paper to my old 402 Mitchelle base (3 1/8') so it would fit on the 6oz Breakaway as a backup reel. I placed a new Daiwa 5500ZA (3" base)on it as my main surf reel, costly but extremely smooooth. The way it lays the line on the spool is outstanding.
I used 20# (green)BG on my first test spool, it worked so fine I will drop to 15# BG (green) with 50# (silver)BG Supreme 8yd. shocker on my second spool.

I got more skates than blue's this weekend in Delaware. The guy next to me was getting many double skates at the same time. Good thing I only had a single hook set-up.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Corbina wise move. The old Mitchel was from a different era therefore it is thicker. It is also not as easy to maintain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts