Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried the long cast line sold by Breakaway tackle?
I am throwing 4-6 oz. with bait on a 12' TICA spinnning rod. Have been using 30# power pro but I occasionally get hang ups in my reel that cause breakoffs. Usually get about 130-150 yards with just a sinker and I'm hoping I can get the same distance with mono line. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use 15# bright yellow--seems to be quality line. no major problems with it, but I am not a power caster and rarely use more than 2-3 oz.

·
Registered
681 Posts
shock leader

Are you using a shock leader? If not, that could be your problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shock leader

I've used 50# mono and 60# braid for shock leader. Haven't had problems with broken leaders or knots. Also, have carefully checked my guides. Its like my reel (Daiwa Regal Z) can't wrap the braid well. Maybe because of its really small diameter or lack of stretch. The breakoffs happen when my rig is in the air 50-75 yards out. When I check the line coming off my spool it is kind of wrapped under the other turns of line and takes a little yank to pull free.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Special Reel For Braid

Hi "kelsch",

What you need is a spinning reel that has a long oscillation stroke. This will keep the braid from digging in. When you go to a sporting goods/fishing store, try the reel before you buy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
long stroke

I think that makes a lot of sense Longcaster. I assume that keeps the braid from slipping down between previous wraps. Which reels have a long stroke? Daiwa Emblems and Tica Dolphins? I have been considering the Dolphin.

·
Registered
551 Posts
kelsch

I have noticed that some less expensive reels have a faster oscillation cycle which will better suit casting with braid line. Reels that do better with braid are less desireable for mono- long distance casting. Also with braid, you do not need such a large reel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
longcaster

Any specific suggestions for a reel around $100 that would hold 300+ yards of 30# power pro.
Thanks for all your help. Guys like you make it possible for midwest guys like me to get the most out of our two weeks at the beach. I appreciate the input you have given me here and in your many other posts.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Try Before You Buy!

Hi "kelsch",

I'm not familiar with the brands, but I have seen a lot of reels in the $35 to $45 range that will serve your purpose. At these prices you can buy two for $100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts